* [dpdk-users] Reg DPDK with unsupported NIC
@ 2017-03-14  9:28 raman geetha gopalakrishnan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: raman geetha gopalakrishnan @ 2017-03-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, users

Hi ,

Please find my query, Currently i am planning to develop DPDK APP (linux
env). I do not have DPDK supported NIC. Till then i would still like to
develop DPDK APP and want DPDK  to use OS interface to TX/RX packets from
NIC. How can i make it? I went through KNI and my understanding is you
cannot use it - is this correct?

In what way i can still develop DPDK APP with non supported NIC till get
the DPDK NIC.

Thanks
Raman

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Reg DPDK with unsupported NIC
@ 2017-03-14  9:46 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-03-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman geetha gopalakrishnan; +Cc: dev, users

2017-03-14 14:58, raman geetha gopalakrishnan:
> In what way i can still develop DPDK APP with non supported NIC till get
> the DPDK NIC.

You should check the bottom of this page (section Ohers):
	http://dpdk.org/doc/nics
The simplest is to use the ring PMD which do not require a NIC at all.
Or you can try the other solutions (pcap, tap, af_packet).

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Reg DPDK with unsupported NIC
@ 2017-03-14  9:52 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2017-03-14  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman geetha gopalakrishnan; +Cc: dev, users

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 5:29 PM, raman geetha gopalakrishnan <glowingsun@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
>
> Please find my query, Currently i am planning to develop DPDK APP (linux
> env). I do not have DPDK supported NIC. Till then i would still like to
> develop DPDK APP and want DPDK  to use OS interface to TX/RX packets from
> NIC. How can i make it? I went through KNI and my understanding is you
> cannot use it - is this correct?
>
> In what way i can still develop DPDK APP with non supported NIC till get
> the DPDK NIC.

Take a look at the TAP PMD driver and look at the doc file in the doc directory.

It will not be high performance but it can work nicely using tap and some like socat.

@ 2017-03-14 10:13   ` raman geetha gopalakrishnan
From: raman geetha gopalakrishnan @ 2017-03-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev, users

Thanks Keith For the quick Reply.

From: raman geetha gopalakrishnan @ 2017-03-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev, users

Thanks Monjalon For the quick reply.

@ 2017-03-14 12:07 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2017-03-14 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman geetha gopalakrishnan, dev, users

On 3/14/2017 9:28 AM, raman geetha gopalakrishnan wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Please find my query, Currently i am planning to develop DPDK APP (linux
> env). I do not have DPDK supported NIC. Till then i would still like to
> develop DPDK APP and want DPDK  to use OS interface to TX/RX packets from
> NIC. How can i make it?

> I went through KNI and my understanding is you
> cannot use it - is this correct?

You can use it. KNI does not require a physical device at all.

But with the KNI support in main tree, you need to use KNI specific
APIs, - which KNI sample app shows.

With the KNI PMD in next-net tree, it is possible to use KNI as any
other device.

@ 2017-03-15  4:45   ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2017-03-15  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: raman geetha gopalakrishnan, dev, users

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:07:42PM +0000, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 9:28 AM, raman geetha gopalakrishnan wrote:
> > Hi ,
> >
> > Please find my query, Currently i am planning to develop DPDK APP (linux
> > env). I do not have DPDK supported NIC. Till then i would still like to
> > develop DPDK APP and want DPDK  to use OS interface to TX/RX packets from
> > NIC. How can i make it?
>
> > I went through KNI and my understanding is you
> > cannot use it - is this correct?
>
> You can use it. KNI does not require a physical device at all.
>
> But with the KNI support in main tree, you need to use KNI specific
> APIs, - which KNI sample app shows.
>
> With the KNI PMD in next-net tree, it is possible to use KNI as any
> other device.

Just my 2c. While you can indeed use KNI here, I think I would recommend
pcap or AF_PACKET as my first-choice options, with TAP also a
possibility too, as Keith has already suggested.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Reg DPDK with unsupported NIC
@ 2017-03-15  5:24     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-03-15  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, raman geetha gopalakrishnan, dev, users

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 04:45:03 +0000
Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:07:42PM +0000, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> > On 3/14/2017 9:28 AM, raman geetha gopalakrishnan wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > >
> > > Please find my query, Currently i am planning to develop DPDK APP (linux
> > > env). I do not have DPDK supported NIC. Till then i would still like to
> > > develop DPDK APP and want DPDK  to use OS interface to TX/RX packets from
> > > NIC. How can i make it?
> >
> > > I went through KNI and my understanding is you
> > > cannot use it - is this correct?
> >
> > You can use it. KNI does not require a physical device at all.
> >
> > But with the KNI support in main tree, you need to use KNI specific
> > APIs, - which KNI sample app shows.
> >
> > With the KNI PMD in next-net tree, it is possible to use KNI as any
> > other device.
> >

> Just my 2c. While you can indeed use KNI here, I think I would recommend
> pcap or AF_PACKET as my first-choice options, with TAP also a
> possibility too, as Keith has already suggested.
>
> /Bruce

Other than development environment, why would you want to use DPDK with AF_PACKET
or TAP?  It will be slower than kernel networking and with KNI doubly slow.