* [dpdk-users] DPDK pinned Memory for non Root User
@ 2016-12-28 10:21 Karthi M
From: Karthi M @ 2016-12-28 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

		I’m trying to run DPDK examples/App in a non-root user mode. rte_mempool_init always returns 0MB Available memory. But if I run the same as a root user, everything works fine. So I’m not able to get the pinned memory for the App to start as a unprivileged user. So is there a way for App to get pinned memory for the users other than the root user.  Can Someone help me out on this and I have come across some similar issue DPDK mail thread for the same issue.

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2016-July/000709.html <http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2016-July/000709.html>

Regards,

Karthi | +91 9036339210
CloudSimple Inc

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK pinned Memory for non Root User
@ 2016-12-28 10:45 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2016-12-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karthi M; +Cc: users

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Karthi M <karthi@cloudsimple.com> wrote:

> So is there a way for App to get pinned memory for the users other than
> the root user.

i am assuming that you are on linux. ​afaik there is no way to ​run dpdk as
non-root. the thread you linked to has necessary information...

--
thanks
anupam

In the beginning was the lambda, and the lambda was with Emacs, and Emacs
was the lambda.

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK pinned Memory for non Root User
@ 2016-12-28 10:51   ` Shreyansh Jain
From: Shreyansh Jain @ 2016-12-28 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karthi M; +Cc: users, Anupam Kapoor

Karthi,

There is possible way, as documented here:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/linux_gsg/enable_func.html#running-dpdk-applications-without-root-privileges

But I haven't tried it myself and neither do I know if it will solve your problem.

@ 2016-12-28 11:21     ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2016-12-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shreyansh Jain; +Cc: Karthi M, users

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Shreyansh Jain <shreyansh.jain@nxp.com>
wrote:

> There is possible way, as documented here:
> http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/linux_gsg/enable_func.html#
> running-dpdk-applications-without-root-privileges
>
> But I haven't tried it myself and neither do I know if it will solve your
> problem.

​yeah it says that but afaik, ​/proc/self/pagemap cannot be opened (during
init) due to virt2phys translation issues...

​---