* Memory sharing between two primary processes
@ 2022-06-06  6:26 Kiran Khatke
From: Kiran Khatke @ 2022-06-06  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Per DPDK Multiprocess, we know that, it is possible to share
memory(hugepages) between a primary and secondary Process.  Primary process
allocates the memory and that is accessible by the secondary (both are
using same  "--file-prefix=" parameter).

There is a need in our application, to have two primary processes (started
with different file-prefix) and would like to know the options - To share
memory (hugepage) between two primaries and which can give us better
throughputs.

During exploration, got to know about memif PMD, which allows for DPDK and
any other client using memif (DPDK, libmemif) to communicate over shared
memory.

Do you have any comments about memif performance ? Are there better options
over memif to share memory between two primaries ?

Thanks ,

Kiran

* RE: Memory sharing between two primary processes
@ 2022-06-06 12:58 ` Pathak, Pravin
From: Pathak, Pravin @ 2022-06-06 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiran Khatke, users

Hi Kiran –
Can your application create and manage shared memory on it own without using DPDK support ?
Regards
Pravin

@ 2022-06-06 13:24   ` Kiran Khatke
From: Kiran Khatke @ 2022-06-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pathak, Pravin; +Cc: users

Hi Pravin,

Both are DPDK application, so want  to use DPDK Share memory i.e hugepages.

How to share memory between two independent (Primary) application?  Does
memif PMD allows that ?

Thanks,
Kiran

@ 2022-06-06 13:53     ` Pathak, Pravin
From: Pathak, Pravin @ 2022-06-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiran Khatke; +Cc: users

Hi Kiran –
It should be possible. DPDK documentation  clearly shows two primary processes using memif to communicate.

32.2.1. Example: testpmd
In this example we run two instances of testpmd application and transmit packets over memif.
First create master interface:
#./build/app/testpmd -l 0-1 --proc-type=primary --file-prefix=pmd1 --vdev=net_memif,role=master -- -i

Now create slave interface (master must be already running so the slave will connect):
#./build/app/testpmd -l 2-3 --proc-type=primary --file-prefix=pmd2 --vdev=net_memif -- -i

@ 2022-06-06 13:56       ` Kiran Khatke
From: Kiran Khatke @ 2022-06-06 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pathak, Pravin; +Cc: users

Thanks Pravin.

Do you any comments over memif PMD performance?

Are there any better options than memif PMD in terms of performance?

Kiran

@ 2022-06-08  0:21         ` Pathak, Pravin
From: Pathak, Pravin @ 2022-06-08  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiran Khatke; +Cc: users

I did not use memif so can not comment on its performance. It all also depends upon what kind of communication is needed between processes.
Is it message based or simple shared memory structure. You should be able to allocate memory from hugepages and setup shared area.

@ 2022-06-08 18:54           ` Kiran Khatke
From: Kiran Khatke @ 2022-06-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pathak, Pravin; +Cc: users