* [dpdk-users] dpdk - for video frames too ?
@ 2015-11-12  7:14 Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2015-11-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I hope you can assist me on the following debate.

I need to develop a driver/application which capture and output video
frames from PCIe device , and is using Intel cpu (i7), Centand Intel's
media sdk server framework for the video compression.

I am not sure what will be a better choice between the following 2 options:
1. application which use dpdk for capture and output to the PCIe device
2. v4l driver for the PCIe device

dpdk is supposed to be able to read/write from PCIe device too.
I tried to see the prons/cons of dpdk compared to v4l.

prons of dpdk, as I understand them:
1. userspace application (easier debugging compared to kernel
debugging of v4l device driver)
2. supposed better performance

cons of dpdk compared to v4l:
1. I could not find examples for PCIe device usage , or samples for
showing how application (such as media sdk) use dpdk video frames.

Thank you for any feedback on the matter,

Regards,
Ran