DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* DPDK 20.11/CentOS7.9, first run -> *FAILED*
@ 2021-10-14 11:37 Ruslan R. Laishev
  2021-10-14 18:45 ` David Marchand
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Ruslan R. Laishev @ 2021-10-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello !


  Since 
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.04/linux_gsg/quick_start.html#linux-setup-script 
  refer to nonexistent SETUP.SH, i walking over the docs an do steps to 
unsure that DPDK is working at all after installation.

  So:


[root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe uio_pci_generic
[ 1084.673269] Generic UIO driver for PCI 2.3 devices version: 0.01.0

[root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe vfio-pci
[ 1118.429157] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3

[root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  -s

Network devices using kernel driver
===================================
0000:02:01.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
if=ens33 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic *Active*
0000:02:05.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
if=ens37 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
0000:02:06.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
if=ens38 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic

[root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  --bind=vfio-pci  ens37
Error: bind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci
Error: unbind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot open 
/sys/bus/pci/drivers//unbind

[ 1215.157980] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22
[ 1215.164317] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22


[root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  -s

Network devices using kernel driver
===================================
0000:02:01.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
if=ens33 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic *Active*
0000:02:06.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
if=ens38 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic

Other Network devices
=====================
0000:02:05.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f' 
unused=e1000,vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic


[root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  --bind=vfio-pci  0000:02:05.0
Error: bind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci


[root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  --bind=uio_pci_generic   0000:02:05.0
Error: bind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot bind to driver uio_pci_generic




So, can someone help me to get the DPDK working ?

TIA.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: DPDK 20.11/CentOS7.9, first run -> *FAILED*
  2021-10-14 11:37 DPDK 20.11/CentOS7.9, first run -> *FAILED* Ruslan R. Laishev
@ 2021-10-14 18:45 ` David Marchand
  2021-10-14 19:20   ` DPDK version 16.x -- " Gábor LENCSE
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: David Marchand @ 2021-10-14 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruslan R. Laishev; +Cc: users

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 1:37 PM Ruslan R. Laishev <zator@yandex.ru> wrote:
>   Since
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.04/linux_gsg/quick_start.html#linux-setup-script

I am surprised to see you are using a 16.04 version.

I recommend using the latest LTS, i.e. 20.11.
For this version, the quick start guide is
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-20.11/linux_gsg/index.html


>   refer to nonexistent SETUP.SH, i walking over the docs an do steps to
> unsure that DPDK is working at all after installation.
>
>   So:
>
>
> [root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe uio_pci_generic
> [ 1084.673269] Generic UIO driver for PCI 2.3 devices version: 0.01.0
>
> [root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe vfio-pci
> [ 1118.429157] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3
>
> [root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  -s
>
> Network devices using kernel driver
> ===================================
> 0000:02:01.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
> if=ens33 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic *Active*
> 0000:02:05.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
> if=ens37 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
> 0000:02:06.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
> if=ens38 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
>
> [root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  --bind=vfio-pci  ens37
> Error: bind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci
> Error: unbind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot open
> /sys/bus/pci/drivers//unbind
>
> [ 1215.157980] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22
> [ 1215.164317] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22

If your server has a iommu, you probably did not configure it.
If you don't have such hw, you need no-iommu support.

https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-20.11/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#troubleshooting-vfio


-- 
David Marchand


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* DPDK version 16.x -- Re: DPDK 20.11/CentOS7.9, first run -> *FAILED*
  2021-10-14 18:45 ` David Marchand
@ 2021-10-14 19:20   ` Gábor LENCSE
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Gábor LENCSE @ 2021-10-14 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Dear David,

I still use also DPDK 16 (exactly 16.11.11-1+deb9u2 included in Debian 
9), and I have been locked in this version, because I can not compile my 
project under DPDK 18 (included in Debian 10).

I  would be very happy if you (or someone else) could advise me.

My problem description can be found here: 
http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/users/2021-July/005692.html

Best regards,

Gábor

10/14/2021 8:45 PM keltezéssel, David Marchand írta:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 1:37 PM Ruslan R. Laishev <zator@yandex.ru> wrote:
>>    Since
>> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.04/linux_gsg/quick_start.html#linux-setup-script
> I am surprised to see you are using a 16.04 version.
>
> I recommend using the latest LTS, i.e. 20.11.
> For this version, the quick start guide is
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-20.11/linux_gsg/index.html
>
>
>>    refer to nonexistent SETUP.SH, i walking over the docs an do steps to
>> unsure that DPDK is working at all after installation.
>>
>>    So:
>>
>>
>> [root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe uio_pci_generic
>> [ 1084.673269] Generic UIO driver for PCI 2.3 devices version: 0.01.0
>>
>> [root@sysman ~]# sudo modprobe vfio-pci
>> [ 1118.429157] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3
>>
>> [root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  -s
>>
>> Network devices using kernel driver
>> ===================================
>> 0000:02:01.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
>> if=ens33 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic *Active*
>> 0000:02:05.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
>> if=ens37 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
>> 0000:02:06.0 '82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) 100f'
>> if=ens38 drv=e1000 unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
>>
>> [root@sysman ~]# dpdk-devbind.py  --bind=vfio-pci  ens37
>> Error: bind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci
>> Error: unbind failed for 0000:02:05.0 - Cannot open
>> /sys/bus/pci/drivers//unbind
>>
>> [ 1215.157980] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22
>> [ 1215.164317] vfio-pci: probe of 0000:02:05.0 failed with error -22
> If your server has a iommu, you probably did not configure it.
> If you don't have such hw, you need no-iommu support.
>
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-20.11/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#troubleshooting-vfio
>
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-10-14 19:20 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-10-14 11:37 DPDK 20.11/CentOS7.9, first run -> *FAILED* Ruslan R. Laishev
2021-10-14 18:45 ` David Marchand
2021-10-14 19:20   ` DPDK version 16.x -- " Gábor LENCSE

DPDK usage discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git