* Virtio_user for kernel interface.
@ 2023-08-27 14:47 Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto
From: Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto @ 2023-08-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello!
I'm attempting to utilize virtio_user for packet transmission and reception via the kernel's network stack. I transmitted packets from a NIC to virtio_user0 and captured them on the tap0 interface. However, when trying to send a packet from tap0 (for instance, a basic ping) and route it to DPDK, the function rte_eth_rx_burst returns zero packets. My initialization is set as follows:
	-l 0-4 --vdev=virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net,queues=3,queue_size=1024.
With the forthcoming removal of KNI from DPDK, I have to rely on virtio but I cant find a way to use it as a bridge to the kernel stack and my dpdk app. I could not find any example or similar application for reference.

Sincerely,

Carlos Moraes
WEG Equipamentos Elétricos S/A. - Transmissão & Distribuição
www.weg.net

* Re: Virtio_user for kernel interface.
@ 2023-08-28  8:30 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-08-28  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto; +Cc: users

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 10:07 AM Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto
<carlosmn@weg.net> wrote:
> I'm attempting to utilize virtio_user for packet transmission and reception via the kernel's network stack. I transmitted packets from a NIC to virtio_user0 and captured them on the tap0 interface. However, when trying to send a packet from tap0 (for instance, a basic ping) and route it to DPDK, the function rte_eth_rx_burst returns zero packets. My initialization is set as follows:
>         -l 0-4 --vdev=virtio_user0,path=/dev/vhost-net,queues=3,queue_size=1024.

Just an idea.
If you ask for 3 queue pairs, your application must poll packets from
all 3 rxqs, as the kernel may choose to send packets through any of
those queues.
Are you perhaps only polling one rxq?

--
David Marchand

* RES: Virtio_user for kernel interface.
@ 2023-08-29 11:04   ` Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto
From: Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto @ 2023-08-29 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: users

Hi David,
Thankyou it worked.

Sincerely,

Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto
WEG Equipamentos Elétricos S/A. - Transmissão & Distribuição
www.weg.net

Enviada em: segunda-feira, 28 de agosto de 2023 05:31
Para: Carlos de Souza Moraes Neto <carlosmn@weg.net>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Assunto: Re: Virtio_user for kernel interface.

ATENÇÃO:  Esta mensagem é de REMETENTE EXTERNO - Tenha cuidado ao abrir links e anexos.
*** NOVO *** NÃO digite sua SENHA WEG quando solicitada por E-MAIL EXTERNO