* [dpdk-users] Replicating PCAP packets read by pktgen for multiple source addresses
@ 2020-09-13 21:59 Ravi Tandon
From: Ravi Tandon @ 2020-09-13 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I want to use pktgen to read a pcap file and play that pcap file say 10
times by editing the source IP address for each run, please let me know
what's the best way of doing this.

I first thought of editing the source IP in the rte_mbuf pointed by pkts
before calling the rte_eth_tx_burst(info->pid, qid, pkts, cnt) function but
it seems that rte_eth_tx_burst function frees up the rte_mbuf pointed by
pkts after sending the packet once so I cannot edit the pkts buffer again.

static __inline__ void
trafficgen_send_burst(port_info_t *info, uint16_t qid)
{
struct mbuf_table   *mtab = &info->q[qid].tx_mbufs;
struct rte_mbuf **pkts;
struct qstats_s *qstats;
uint32_t ret, cnt, tap, rnd, tstamp, i;
int32_t seq_idx;

if ((cnt = mtab->len) == 0)
return;

mtab->len = 0;
pkts = mtab->m_table;

if (trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RANGE_PKTS))
seq_idx = RANGE_PKT;
else if (trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RATE_PACKETS))
seq_idx = RATE_PKT;
else
seq_idx = SINGLE_PKT;

tap = trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, PROCESS_TX_TAP_PKTS);
rnd = trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RANDOM_PKTS);
tstamp = trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, (SEND_LATENCY_PKTS |
SEND_RATE_PACKETS));

qstats = &info->qstats[qid];
qstats->txpkts += cnt;
for (i = 0; i < cnt; i++)
qstats->txbytes += rte_pktmbuf_data_len(pkts[i]);

*/*Inserting a for loop here doesn't help as rte_mbuf is freed by
rte_eth_tx_burst*/*
/* Send all of the packets before we can exit this function */
while (cnt) {

if (rnd)
trafficgen_rnd_bits_apply(info, pkts, cnt, NULL);

if (tstamp)
trafficgen_tstamp_apply(info, pkts, cnt, seq_idx);

ret = rte_eth_tx_burst(info->pid, qid, pkts, cnt);

if (tap)
trafficgen_do_tx_tap(info, pkts, ret);

pkts += ret;
cnt -= ret;
}
}

Basically, I want to resend buffers stored in rte_mbuf again and again,
after modifying source IP in each run.

Thanks
Ravi

* Re: [dpdk-users] Replicating PCAP packets read by pktgen for multiple source addresses
@ 2020-09-14 13:30 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2020-09-14 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Tandon, users

You can edit the packet in the function below, but you have to do that action everytime. Freeing the mbuf I sok, you can look into the refcnt value in the mbuf if you want tx_burst to not free the packet completely.

From: users <users-bounces@dpdk.org>
Date: Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 5:00 PM
To: users@dpdk.org <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] Replicating PCAP packets read by pktgen for multiple source addresses

@ 2020-09-14 16:03   ` Ravi Tandon
From: Ravi Tandon @ 2020-09-14 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Thanks Keith.

I updated the refcnt and it worked.

Regards,
Ravi

@ 2020-09-14 17:52     ` Ravi Tandon
From: Ravi Tandon @ 2020-09-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Dear Keith,

After updating the refcnt value, I am able to transmit packet with multiple
source IPs but the transmission stops after some time, even if I give
start command again, transmission never starts, please let me know if I
missed something, basically I want transmission forever unless stop command
is triggered.

The updated code is as below, I added 3 lines having num_src_ip in them to
see whether my packets are transmitted burst x num_src_ip times, but
transmission stopped after sometime, and I am unable to start it
unless I restart pktgen

static __inline__ void
pktgen_send_burst(port_info_t *info, uint16_t qid)
{
struct mbuf_table   *mtab = &info->q[qid].tx_mbufs;
struct rte_mbuf **pkts;
struct qstats_s *qstats;
uint32_t ret, cnt, tap, rnd, tstamp, i;
int32_t seq_idx;
*uint32_t num_src_ip = 5; /*Hard coded for timebeing*/*

if ((cnt = mtab->len) == 0)
return;

mtab->len = 0;
pkts = mtab->m_table;

if (pktgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RANGE_PKTS))
seq_idx = RANGE_PKT;
else if (pktgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RATE_PACKETS))
seq_idx = RATE_PKT;
else
seq_idx = SINGLE_PKT;

tap = pktgen_tst_port_flags(info, PROCESS_TX_TAP_PKTS);
rnd = pktgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RANDOM_PKTS);
tstamp = pktgen_tst_port_flags(info, (SEND_LATENCY_PKTS |
SEND_RATE_PACKETS));

qstats = &info->qstats[qid];
qstats->txpkts += cnt;
for (i = 0; i < cnt; i++) {
qstats->txbytes += rte_pktmbuf_data_len(pkts[i]);
*rte_mbuf_refcnt_update(pkts[i], num_src_ip);*
}

/* Send all of the packets before we can exit this function */
while (cnt) {
if (rnd)
pktgen_rnd_bits_apply(info, pkts, cnt, NULL);

if (tstamp)
pktgen_tstamp_apply(info, pkts, cnt, seq_idx);

*for(i = 0; i < num_src_ip; i++) *ret = rte_eth_tx_burst(info->pid, qid,
pkts, cnt);

if (tap)
pktgen_do_tx_tap(info, pkts, ret);

pkts += (ret);
cnt -= (ret);
}
}

Regards,
Ravi

@ 2020-09-14 21:19       ` Ravi Tandon
From: Ravi Tandon @ 2020-09-14 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Dear Keith,

I was able to make it work after some code review by calling
rte_pktmbuf_free_bulk, after rte_eth_tx_burst.

Regards,
Ravi

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 7:52 PM Ravi Tandon <ravi.tandon1982@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> but
>>> it seems that rte_eth_tx_burst function frees up the rte_mbuf pointed by
>>> pkts after sending the packet once so I cannot edit the pkts buffer
>>> again.
>>>

>>> static __inline__ void
>>> trafficgen_send_burst(port_info_t *info, uint16_t qid)
>>> {
>>> struct mbuf_table   *mtab = &info->q[qid].tx_mbufs;
>>> struct rte_mbuf **pkts;
>>> struct qstats_s *qstats;
>>> uint32_t ret, cnt, tap, rnd, tstamp, i;
>>> int32_t seq_idx;
>>>
>>> if ((cnt = mtab->len) == 0)
>>> return;
>>>
>>> mtab->len = 0;
>>> pkts = mtab->m_table;
>>>
>>> if (trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RANGE_PKTS))
>>> seq_idx = RANGE_PKT;
>>> else if (trafficgen_tst_port_flags(info, SEND_RATE_PACKETS))
>>> else