* [dpdk-users] How to use more rx queues than RSS queue limit for ixgbe
@ 2016-08-16 10:25 FQ Liu
From: FQ Liu @ 2016-08-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all
      I want to use 32 cores to process dns requests, which would need 32
rx queues, but the maximum RSS queue of the ethernet controller(Intel
Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+) is 16. If I can use dcb or flow
director to assign requests to 32 cores?
       The document (http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/overview.html) shows
that ixgbe driver supports DCB and Flow director, but there isn't any
details about.

       OS: centos
       kernel: linux-3.18.34
       driver: igb_uio

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to use more rx queues than RSS queue limit for ixgbe
@ 2016-08-16 13:35 ` Nishant Verma
       [not found]   ` <CAG7SzU69fJTTf2k6hzSAM4cM6obh0-kunQc2=39sOnX4Mhdhag@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nishant Verma @ 2016-08-16 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FQ Liu; +Cc: users

Hi,

Yes, you can use flow director and other packet classification methods
present, the thing is your hardware supports that. Check NIC datasheet if
some thing you think is correct and still not working.
For DCB, you can check example(vmdq_dcb) present in example folder in DPDK.
For Flow Director, you can check test-pmd code.

Just for your information. flow director can be used like this
"
    struct rte_eth_fdir_filter entry;

    memset(&entry, 0, sizeof(struct rte_eth_fdir_filter));

    entry.input.flow_type = 0x05;
    entry.input.flow.udp4_flow.ip.dst_ip=0x11223344;
    entry.input.flow.udp4_flow.dst_port=0x1111;
    entry.action.rx_queue=0x02;
    entry.action.report_status=0x02;

    ret = rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(0, RTE_ETH_FILTER_FDIR,
                         RTE_ETH_FILTER_ADD, &entry);

"
So, from now packet received from 0x11223344 will be re-directed to queue 2.

--
Rgds,
Nishant

@ 2016-08-17 14:40     ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
From: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen @ 2016-08-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FQ Liu; +Cc: users, Nishant Verma

Doesn't 82599 has like 128 RX queues

@ 2016-08-17 19:49       ` dave seddon
From: dave seddon @ 2016-08-17 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen; +Cc: FQ Liu, users, Nishant Verma

Data sheet
 Multiple receive queues (Flow Director) 16 x 8 and 32 x 4
 Eight VLAN L2 filters
 16 flex L3 port filters
 Four Flexible TCO filters
 Four L3 address filters (IPv4)
 Four L3 address filters (IPv6)
 Four L2 address filters
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/
networking/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.html

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen <
zain2294@gmail.com> wrote:

> Doesn't 82599 has like 128 RX queues
>
> On 17 Aug 2016 12:38 p.m., "FQ Liu" <qleex001@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > In production environment, all the packets have the same dst_ip, dst_port
> > and protocol, I cannot use vlan tag to identity in DCB mode.
> > If use Flow Director, one filter rule would direct to only one core,
> > Maybe I must modify the driver source code to meet the demand?

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Yes, you can use flow director and other packet classification methods
> > > present, the thing is your hardware supports that. Check NIC datasheet
> if
> > > some thing you think is correct and still not working.
> > > For DCB, you can check example(vmdq_dcb) present in example folder in
> DPDK.
> > > For Flow Director, you can check test-pmd code.
> > >
> > > Just for your information. flow director can be used like this
> > > "
> > >     struct rte_eth_fdir_filter entry;
> > >
> > >     memset(&entry, 0, sizeof(struct rte_eth_fdir_filter));
> > >
> > >     entry.input.flow_type = 0x05;
> > >     entry.input.flow.udp4_flow.ip.dst_ip=0x11223344;
> > >     entry.input.flow.udp4_flow.dst_port=0x1111;
> > >     entry.action.rx_queue=0x02;
> > >     entry.action.report_status=0x02;
> > >
> > >     ret = rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(0, RTE_ETH_FILTER_FDIR,
> > >                          RTE_ETH_FILTER_ADD, &entry);
> > >
> > > "
> > > So, from now packet received from 0x11223344 will be re-directed to
> queue
> > > 2.

> 32
> flow
> shows

> > > --
> > > Rgds,
> > > Nishant

Dave Seddon
+1 415 857 5102

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to use more rx queues than RSS queue limit for ixgbe
@ 2016-08-18 12:32         ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
From: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen @ 2016-08-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave seddon; +Cc: FQ Liu, users, Nishant Verma

But the flow director queues wont matter as the hash against the tuple will
be the same