* ABI version on build machine and target machine
@ 2022-09-20 14:24 Antonio Di Bacco
From: Antonio Di Bacco @ 2022-09-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I have an application that is built with version 21.11.0 of the DPDK (ABI22).
Now I run the application  on a target machine that has 21.11.2
installed, then the same ABI.

How can I be sure that the DPDK inlined source code in 21.11.0 is the
same or compatible with that in 21.11.2?
I mean, if an inline function in version 21.11.0 has changed in
21.11.2, could I see problems?

Is this important or the fact that the two DPDKs have the same ABI
grants that everything will work?

* Re: ABI version on build machine and target machine
@ 2022-09-20 15:13 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-09-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Di Bacco; +Cc: users

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 16:24:52 +0200
Antonio Di Bacco <a.dibacco.ks@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an application that is built with version 21.11.0 of the DPDK (ABI22).
> Now I run the application  on a target machine that has 21.11.2
> installed, then the same ABI.
>
> How can I be sure that the DPDK inlined source code in 21.11.0 is the
> same or compatible with that in 21.11.2?
> I mean, if an inline function in version 21.11.0 has changed in
> 21.11.2, could I see problems?
>
> Is this important or the fact that the two DPDKs have the same ABI
> grants that everything will work?

yes. Especially for bugfix (ie stable) releases.
The only thing is that if a bug fix is done in an inline in 21.11.2
then obviously you have to build with that version to get it.

* Re: ABI version on build machine and target machine
@ 2022-09-20 20:17   ` Antonio Di Bacco
From: Antonio Di Bacco @ 2022-09-20 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

The fact that I don't have to align the DPDK on the build system and
on the target (provided that they have the same ABI) is very soothing.

Thank you.