* [dpdk-users] Request an example config for DPDK IP PIPELINE
@ 2016-01-25 15:40 Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Dear all,

I already bind three ports in DPDK. I want to set up a small router and a
firewall by IP Pipeline.

But, I am so surprised that the doc (
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/ip_pipeline.html) only provide the
format of config without a complete config. So, may I have an example
config of router/firewall file and I will modify my own config according to
the example config.

Royce Niu

* Re: [dpdk-users] Request an example config for DPDK IP PIPELINE
@ 2016-01-25 15:42 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-01-25 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Niu; +Cc: users

2016-01-25 23:40, Royce Niu:
> I already bind three ports in DPDK. I want to set up a small router and a
> firewall by IP Pipeline.
>
> But, I am so surprised that the doc (
> http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/ip_pipeline.html) only provide the
> format of config without a complete config. So, may I have an example
> config of router/firewall file and I will modify my own config according to
> the example config.

I think you will find this directory helpful:
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/examples/ip_pipeline/config

Please do not hesitate to send a patch to add a line in the doc.
Thanks

* Re: [dpdk-users] Request an example config for DPDK IP PIPELINE
@ 2016-01-25 15:46   ` Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

Hi, Thomas

I spent whole day finding them and you give me what I need in 10min.
Many Thanks.

Could you tell me how to send an patch on doc or the rule to send a patch.
I will add these for others.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com

@ 2016-01-25 15:58     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-01-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Niu; +Cc: users

2016-01-25 23:46, Royce Niu:
> Hi, Thomas
>
> I spent whole day finding them and you give me what I need in 10min.
> Many Thanks.

You're welcome.
Thanks for helping in return. Hope your example will be seen :)

> Could you tell me how to send an patch on doc or the rule to send a patch.
> I will add these for others.

There was a basic summary on the web:
	http://dpdk.org/dev#send
There is now a more detailed doc:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/

While at introducing you some tips, this page is for the emails:
	http://dpdk.org/ml
In-line replies are preferred over top posting.

Thanks

@ 2016-01-25 16:03       ` Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

Thanks!

Sorry to bother you again.
If there any example config on firewall?
I find http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/5778/ from Google.
However, the patch is not in both 2.2.0 and master.
So, is the firewall usable?

By the way, I will try my best to add the solution my problem in the doc.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com

@ 2016-01-25 17:00         ` Singh, Jasvinder
From: Singh, Jasvinder @ 2016-01-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Niu, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

Hi Royce,

Firewall component exists in IP_Pipeline sample application.
Please check
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/examples/ip_pipeline/config/edge_router_upstream.cfg

In the above configuration file, firewall has been set up as first pipeline in the chain. You can learn the configuration parameters of the firewall from this file.

For firewall rules, please check
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/examples/ip_pipeline/config/edge_router_upstream.sh

 In the above script file, the rules have been defined for firewall pipeline.

Thanks,
Jasvinder

* Re: [dpdk-users] Request an example config for DPDK IP PIPELINE
@ 2016-01-25 17:09           ` Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Singh, Jasvinder; +Cc: users

Thanks!

I am not sure it is okay to ask an related question here:

When I run any config in config folder, for example, l2fwd, there is
already an error:

PANIC in app_init_core_mask():
Cannot create CPU core mask

I only deleted two queues, since I have two interfaces. And other configs
in that folder will also cause this error.

I am using DPDK 2.2 and sure the installation is good, since helloworld and
l2fwd (not pipeline) examples are ok.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:00 AM, Singh, Jasvinder <jasvinder.singh@intel.com

@ 2016-01-25 17:18             ` Singh, Jasvinder
From: Singh, Jasvinder @ 2016-01-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
I am not sure it is okay to ask an related question here:

When I run any config in config folder, for example, l2fwd, there is already an error:

PANIC in app_init_core_mask():
Cannot create CPU core mask

I only deleted two queues, since I have two interfaces. And other configs in that folder will also cause this error.

I am using DPDK 2.2 and sure the installation is good, since helloworld and l2fwd (not pipeline) examples are ok.

[Jasvinder]-  What command are you using to run the l2fwd(pipeline)? Send the error log.

Hi Royce,

@ 2016-01-25 17:21               ` Royce Niu
       [not found]                 ` <56AA0736.3080908@intel.com>
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Singh, Jasvinder; +Cc: users

$ sudo build/ip_pipeline -f config/l3fwd.cfg -p 0x3
[APP] Initializing CPU core map ...
PANIC in app_init_core_mask():
Cannot create CPU core mask
6: [build/ip_pipeline() [0x431b43]]
5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
[0x7f6417199ec5]]
4: [build/ip_pipeline(main+0x5f) [0x4306ff]]
3: [build/ip_pipeline(app_init+0x1bff) [0x43feaf]]
2: [build/ip_pipeline(__rte_panic+0xc9) [0x42b11a]]
1: [build/ip_pipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x1a) [0x4c9fca]]

Cfg:

[PIPELINE0]
type = MASTER
core = 0

[PIPELINE1]
type = PASS-THROUGH
core = 1
pktq_in = RXQ0.0 RXQ1.0
pktq_out = TXQ1.0 TXQ0.0

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Singh, Jasvinder <jasvinder.singh@intel.com

@ 2016-01-28 14:14                   ` Singh, Jasvinder
From: Singh, Jasvinder @ 2016-01-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Niu; +Cc: users

Hi Royce,

> On 25/01/2016 17:21, Royce Niu wrote:
> > $ sudo build/ip_pipeline -f config/l3fwd.cfg -p 0x3 [APP] Initializing
> > CPU core map ...
> > PANIC in app_init_core_mask():
> > Cannot create CPU core mask
> > 6: [build/ip_pipeline() [0x431b43]]
> > 5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
> > [0x7f6417199ec5]]
> > 4: [build/ip_pipeline(main+0x5f) [0x4306ff]]
> > 3: [build/ip_pipeline(app_init+0x1bff) [0x43feaf]]
> > 2: [build/ip_pipeline(__rte_panic+0xc9) [0x42b11a]]
> > 1: [build/ip_pipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x1a) [0x4c9fca]]
> >
> > Cfg:
> >
> > [PIPELINE0]
> > type = MASTER
> > core = 0
> >
> > [PIPELINE1]
> > type = PASS-THROUGH
> > core = 1
> > pktq_in = RXQ0.0 RXQ1.0
> > pktq_out = TXQ1.0 TXQ0.0

In the above configuration, you are using two cores. In case, if you are running IP_Pipeline application in VM,  you have to bind right number of cores. To do so, you need to set -smp parameter used in qemu as below-

–smp sockets=1,cores=2 (in case pipeline app requires more cores to be used, then assign more cores).

Hope, it will fix the above error.

Thanks,
Jasvinder

* Re: [dpdk-users] Request an example config for DPDK IP PIPELINE
@ 2016-01-28 14:26                     ` Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-01-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Singh, Jasvinder; +Cc: users

Dear Jasvinder and Fan,

Thanks for your concerning. I solved the problem by

adding "–smp sockets=1,cores=2"

The correct XML format is

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>SandyBridge</model>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='lahf_lm'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='cx16'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='avx'/>
  </cpu>

By the way, if your NIC (virtio) cannot be started, please disable
app_link_up_internal() in init.c

Thanks for Jasvinder for the solutions.

So far, I can use pipeline (l2fwd and firewall) in KVM (Ubuntu 14.04), if
other guys have problem on my config, feel free to contact me;

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Singh, Jasvinder <
jasvinder.singh@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Royce,
>

> > On 25/01/2016 17:21, Royce Niu wrote:
> > > $ sudo build/ip_pipeline -f config/l3fwd.cfg -p 0x3 [APP] Initializing
> > > CPU core map ...
> > > PANIC in app_init_core_mask():
> > > Cannot create CPU core mask
> > > 6: [build/ip_pipeline() [0x431b43]]
> > > 5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
> > > [0x7f6417199ec5]]
> > > 4: [build/ip_pipeline(main+0x5f) [0x4306ff]]
> > > 3: [build/ip_pipeline(app_init+0x1bff) [0x43feaf]]
> > > 2: [build/ip_pipeline(__rte_panic+0xc9) [0x42b11a]]
> > > 1: [build/ip_pipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x1a) [0x4c9fca]]
> > >
> > > Cfg:
> > >
> > > [PIPELINE0]
> > > type = MASTER
> > > core = 0
> > >
> > > [PIPELINE1]
> > > type = PASS-THROUGH
> > > core = 1
> > > pktq_in = RXQ0.0 RXQ1.0
> > > pktq_out = TXQ1.0 TXQ0.0
> > >

> In the above configuration, you are using two cores. In case, if you are
> running IP_Pipeline application in VM,  you have to bind right number of
> cores. To do so, you need to set -smp parameter used in qemu as below-
>
> –smp sockets=1,cores=2 (in case pipeline app requires more cores to be
> used, then assign more cores).
>
> Hope, it will fix the above error.
>
> Thanks,
> Jasvinder