* [dpdk-users] No free hugepages after process restart
@ 2020-07-30  9:41 Michael K
From: Michael K @ 2020-07-30  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I have a hugepages-related problem with a DPDK process not being able to
run after it was terminated and then restarted again.
When the process is restarted, the rte_eal_init() call fails and the terror
message is:

    EAL: No free hugepages reported in hugepages-2048kB
    EAL: FATAL: Cannot get hugepage information.

More details below.

DPDK version is 17.11.3. OS is Ubuntu 14/3.13.0-32-generic.

Hugepages are 2MB large. hugetlbfs is mounted in the process's startup
script, the amount of hugepages is set by
writing to
/sys/devices/system/node/node0/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages.

The amount of memory for DPDK to allocate is passed during the
initialization with the "--socket-mem" parameter.

After the initial start, DPDK works without any problems.
When I stop the process (with kill/TERM) and start it again, DPDK
initialization fails as I wrote above.
After the failure /proc/meminfo shows zero free hugepages.

So, since DPDK is complaining on "No free hugepages reported", I have tried
to find what other processes could be
using hugepages:
- transparent hugepages are disabled via the kernel's commandline.
- ipcs -a shows nothing
- there are no other hugetlbfs mounts on the system
- running lsof and trying to find files open in the hugetlbfs mount dir
gives nothing
- grepping 'KernelPageSize:     2048 kB' in /proc/*/smaps gives nothing
- grep huge /proc/*/numa_maps gives nothing

Basically I've tried every "find the hugepage user" trick I could find on
the net.

If after the failure I add more hugepages via
/sys/devices/system/node/node0/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages,
the process starts successfully and everything is fine again, until I kill
it and then it's not able to run again
with the same error message. And /proc/meminfo shows no free hugepages
again.

One suspicious detail: the problem happens only on machines with Docker
running. But I'm not sure whether this
is related or not.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Michael

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-07-30  9:41 UTC | newest]