* [dpdk-users] Network Devices
@ 2016-12-18  6:01 Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel
From: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel @ 2016-12-18  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

I am writing my own application and in Makefile I just use include files and library path of the DPDK. It is not able to find any pci devices during rte_eal_pci_init. I am not getting any Network devices but when I use DPDKs example Makefile I am able get the devices. What should be the reason for this as in both cases the function is the same.

Thanking you,
Param.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Network Devices
@ 2016-12-18 15:35 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-12-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel; +Cc: users

> On Dec 18, 2016, at 12:01 AM, Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel <krath@cloudsimple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am writing my own application and in Makefile I just use include files and library path of the DPDK. It is not able to find any pci devices during rte_eal_pci_init. I am not getting any Network devices but when I use DPDKs example Makefile I am able get the devices. What should be the reason for this as in both cases the function is the same.

The makefiles in the DPDK examples include DPDK make fragment files *.mk, these files include the mk/rte.app.mk fragment and it appends the libraries on to the end of the link line including the drivers. The drivers do not use a strong compiler link to be included in the image. What happens is the rte.app.mk will include the drivers and the use constructor calls to bind to DPDK.

I hope that is clearer. One way to add a driver is to include its .o on the link line of your makefile or try using the examples directory style of Makefile in your application.

> Thanking you,
> Param.

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-users] Network Devices
@ 2016-12-18 16:19   ` Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel
From: Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel @ 2016-12-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Thanks Keith. I will make the change and let u know about it.

Thanking you,
Param.