* Sending MAC control frames to host application using the i40e pmd.
@ 2023-04-03 11:02 Paul Rafferty
From: Paul Rafferty @ 2023-04-03 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I have an application that processes packets received by an Intel XXV710 NIC via the i40e PMD in DPDK. I need all MAC control frame packets to be passed to the application as regular packets, but I have been unable to configure the device to do this successfully, all control frames seem to be consumed by the hardware and do reach the application queues at all. Referencing the datasheet for this card and the i40e PMD, I need to enable MAC control frame forwarding.

I have tried to configure the card using the rte_eth_dev_flow_ctrl_set call with the following settings in the struct rte_eth_fc_conf:
      .mode = RTE_FC_NONE;
      .high_water = 0;
      .low_water = 0;
      .pause_time = 0;
      .send_xon = 0;
      .mac_ctrl_frame_fwd = 1;
      .autoneg = 0;

The call returns successfully yet checking with rte_eth_dev_flow_ctrl_get shows that the value for .mac_ctrl_frame_fwd is still zero and I cannot see control frames in my application. How can I configure this card to pass these frames?

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul Rafferty R&D Departmentt: +44 1506 671416e: paul.rafferty@calnexsol.comw: calnexsol.comNew Product

The SNE-X is a total solution to the problem of real-world Ethernet testing. It combines comprehensive and efficient network emulation for 5G, Data Center, and Cloud applications. Click for more information.

Calnex Solutions
Oracle Campus
Linlithgow
EH49 7LR
United KingdomCalnex Solutions plc is registered in Scotland. Registration number: SC299625. Registered office: Oracle Campus, Linlithgow, Scotland, EH49 7LR, United Kingdom.