* Windows rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() ENOMEM
@ 2022-12-07 15:19 Robert Hable
From: Robert Hable @ 2022-12-07 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

after a few days of my windows machine running and starting/stopping my DPDK application multiple times, rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() fails with rte_error = EMOM.
When closing most of the running programs on that machine, it usually works again for some time. I assume this happens because of memory fragmentation?
What can I do against this error, except just rebooting the whole machine every time and closing applications all the time?

Regards,
Robert

* Re: Windows rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() ENOMEM
@ 2022-12-07 15:50 ` Dmitry Kozlyuk
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk @ 2022-12-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hable
  Cc: users, Tyler Retzlaff, Dmitry Malloy (MESHCHANINOV),
	Narcisa Ana Maria Vasile

Hi Robert,

> after a few days of my windows machine running and starting/stopping my DPDK application multiple times, rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() fails with rte_error = EMOM.
> When closing most of the running programs on that machine, it usually works again for some time. I assume this happens because of memory fragmentation?
> What can I do against this error, except just rebooting the whole machine every time and closing applications all the time?

Yes, fragmentation is likely the cause.
Adding Microsoft people who might know how to prevent this, since I don't.

* RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() ENOMEM
@ 2022-12-07 21:13   ` Dmitry Malloy
From: Dmitry Malloy @ 2022-12-07 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Kozlyuk, Robert Hable
  Cc: users, Tyler Retzlaff, Narcisa Ana Maria Vasile

In order for us to raise this with proper team at MSFT, we need better diagnosis that "likely".

Robert - can you enable any existing DPDK instrumentation/traces, or add more custom tracing for your setup to narrow down the root-cause?

Thank You,
Dmitry

> after a few days of my windows machine running and starting/stopping my DPDK application multiple times, rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() fails with rte_error = EMOM.
> When closing most of the running programs on that machine, it usually works again for some time. I assume this happens because of memory fragmentation?
> What can I do against this error, except just rebooting the whole machine every time and closing applications all the time?

Yes, fragmentation is likely the cause.
Adding Microsoft people who might know how to prevent this, since I don't.

* AW: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() ENOMEM
@ 2022-12-15 16:14     ` Robert Hable
From: Robert Hable @ 2022-12-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Malloy, Dmitry Kozlyuk
  Cc: users, Tyler Retzlaff, Narcisa Ana Maria Vasile

Hello,

Sure, I will turn on all tracing and add some extra tracing myself. I am currently trying to reproduce the problem, but until now it just happens randomly after some longer uptime.
I will send traces as soon as I can reproduce the error.

Regards,
Robert