* [dpdk-dev] disable hugepages
@ 2016-11-09 12:55 Keren Hochman
From: Keren Hochman @ 2016-11-09 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
how can I create mempool without hugepages?My application is running on a
pcap file so no huge pages is needed ?
Thanks.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] disable hugepages
@ 2016-11-09 13:40 ` Christian Ehrhardt
From: Christian Ehrhardt @ 2016-11-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keren Hochman; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Keren Hochman <keren.hochman@lightcyber.com>
wrote:

> how can I create mempool without hugepages?My application is running on a
> pcap file so no huge pages is needed ?

Not sure if that is what you really want (Debug use only), but in general
no-huge is available as EAL arg

>From http://pktgen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage_eal.html :

EAL options for DEBUG use only:
  --no-huge           : Use malloc instead of hugetlbfs

* Re: [dpdk-dev] disable hugepages
@ 2016-11-09 14:40   ` Keren Hochman
From: Keren Hochman @ 2016-11-09 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Ehrhardt; +Cc: dev

I need this option only for testing. How can I use rte_mempool_create if I
use --no-huge?
Thank you, Keren

@ 2016-11-09 14:50     ` Olivier Matz
From: Olivier Matz @ 2016-11-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keren Hochman, Christian Ehrhardt; +Cc: dev

Hi Keren,

On 11/09/2016 03:40 PM, Keren Hochman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Christian Ehrhardt <
> christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Keren Hochman <
>> keren.hochman@lightcyber.com> wrote:
>>
>>> how can I create mempool without hugepages?My application is running on a
>>> pcap file so no huge pages is needed ?
>>>

>> Not sure if that is what you really want (Debug use only), but in general
>> no-huge is available as EAL arg
>>
>> From http://pktgen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage_eal.html :
>>
>> EAL options for DEBUG use only:
>>   --no-huge           : Use malloc instead of hugetlbfs
>>
> I need this option only for testing. How can I use rte_mempool_create if I
> use --no-huge?

When using --no-huge, the dpdk libraries (including mempool) allocate
its memory in standard memory. Just keep in mind the physical addresses
will be wrong, so this memory cannot be given to hw devices.

Regards,
Olivier

* Re: [dpdk-dev] disable hugepages
@ 2016-11-10 12:32       ` Keren Hochman
From: Keren Hochman @ 2016-11-10 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Matz; +Cc: Christian Ehrhardt, dev

I tried using the following dpdk options:
--no-huge --vdev eth_pcap0 ,rx_pcap=/t1,tx_pcap=/t2
*It's worked but the number of elements is limited, although the machine
has enough free memory. *rte_mempool_create is failed when I'm trying to
allocate more memory. Is there any limitation on the memory beside the
machine?

*Thanks, Keren *

@ 2016-11-10 13:10         ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-11-10 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keren Hochman; +Cc: Olivier Matz, Christian Ehrhardt, dev

> On Nov 10, 2016, at 6:32 AM, Keren Hochman <keren.hochman@lightcyber.com> wrote:
>
> I tried using the following dpdk options:
> --no-huge --vdev eth_pcap0 ,rx_pcap=/t1,tx_pcap=/t2
> *It's worked but the number of elements is limited, although the machine
> has enough free memory. *rte_mempool_create is failed when I'm trying to
> allocate more memory. Is there any limitation on the memory beside the
> machine?

DPDK will just use the standard linux memory allocator, so no limitation in DPDK. Now you could be hitting the limit as a user, need to check your system to make sure you can allocate that much memory to a user. Try using the command ulimit and see what it reports.

I do not remember exactly how to change limits except with ulimit command. I may have modified /etc/security/limits.conf file.

HTH

> *Thanks, Keren *
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Olivier Matz <olivier.matz@6wind.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Keren,
>>
>> On 11/09/2016 03:40 PM, Keren Hochman wrote:

>> on a

>> general

>>> I need this option only for testing. How can I use rte_mempool_create if
>>> use --no-huge?
>>
>> When using --no-huge, the dpdk libraries (including mempool) allocate
>> its memory in standard memory. Just keep in mind the physical addresses
>> will be wrong, so this memory cannot be given to hw devices.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Olivier

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] disable hugepages
@ 2016-11-10 13:34           ` Olivier Matz
From: Olivier Matz @ 2016-11-10 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith, Keren Hochman; +Cc: Christian Ehrhardt, dev

On 11/10/2016 02:10 PM, Wiles, Keith wrote:

>> On Nov 10, 2016, at 6:32 AM, Keren Hochman <keren.hochman@lightcyber.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried using the following dpdk options:
>> --no-huge --vdev eth_pcap0 ,rx_pcap=/t1,tx_pcap=/t2
>> *It's worked but the number of elements is limited, although the machine
>> has enough free memory. *rte_mempool_create is failed when I'm trying to
>> allocate more memory. Is there any limitation on the memory beside the
>> machine?
>
> DPDK will just use the standard linux memory allocator, so no limitation in DPDK. Now you could be hitting the limit as a user, need to check your system to make sure you can allocate that much memory to a user. Try using the command ulimit and see what it reports.
>
> I do not remember exactly how to change limits except with ulimit command. I may have modified /etc/security/limits.conf file.

I don't think it's a ulimit issue.
Actually, the memory is reserved once at startup. The -m EAL
option allows to specify the amount of memory allocated:

  -m MB               Memory to allocate (see also --socket-mem)

So I guess setting it to an higher value (256?) would do the job.

Regards,
Olivier