* [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 18.05-rc3
       [not found] <2233576.Okp3jBAIYA@xps>
@ 2018-05-14 23:18 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-05-14 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-announce

A new DPDK release candidate is ready for testing:
	https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tag/?id=v18.05-rc3

The release notes should be complete now:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/release_18_05.html

What's new in -rc3?
	- proper runtime directory
	- consistent checks in offload API
	- compressdev API
	- Intel compressdev software driver
	- eventdev crypto adapter
	- NXP devices blacklisting
	- DPAA2 QDMA raw driver
	- DPAA2 Command Interface raw driver
	- Intel FPGA bus
	- BPF

Some planned features are postponed to 18.08:
	- Hyper-V bus and NetVSC driver
	- TAP TSO
	- testpmd simulation of noisy host

It is a big release candidate (322 patches),
but next one is expected to include only some bug fixes,
tooling or documentation updates.

Everybody is tired by this release which lasts too long.
So let's try to minimize new risks in order to close it soon.
We can target to make -rc4, -rc5 and finally release on 25th of May.

As usual, please test this release candidate as much as you can,
and check for possible behaviour or performance regressions.

There are some open bugs to check in bugzilla:
	https://dpdk.org/tracker/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=IN_PROGRESS&product=DPDK

Thank you everyone

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 18.05-rc3
@ 2018-05-14 23:24   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-05-14 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

> Some planned features are postponed to 18.08:
> 	- Hyper-V bus and NetVSC driver

I am disappointed by this.
Were you just overloaded or was it the meson build without uuid library?

It is an experimental feature and because you blocked it, it means that
other changes are likely to break support.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 18.05-rc3
@ 2018-05-14 23:31     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-05-14 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev, ferruh.yigit

15/05/2018 01:24, Stephen Hemminger:

> > Some planned features are postponed to 18.08:
> > 	- Hyper-V bus and NetVSC driver
>
> I am disappointed by this.
> Were you just overloaded or was it the meson build without uuid library?

Yes it is because of meson build which was broken.
I had no time to fix it for you, sorry.

> It is an experimental feature and because you blocked it, it means that
> other changes are likely to break support.

What do you mean by "break support"?
You mean other patches in the tree will force you to rebase?
I think we should get this patchset in the first days of 18.08.
Does it work for you?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] release candidate 18.05-rc3
@ 2018-05-15  0:26   ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2018-05-15  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, dev

On 05/15/2018 07:18 AM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> A new DPDK release candidate is ready for testing:
> 	https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tag/?id=v18.05-rc3
>
> The release notes should be complete now:
> 	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/release_18_05.html
>
> What's new in -rc3?
> 	- proper runtime directory
> 	- consistent checks in offload API
> 	- compressdev API
> 	- Intel compressdev software driver
> 	- eventdev crypto adapter
> 	- NXP devices blacklisting
> 	- DPAA2 QDMA raw driver
> 	- DPAA2 Command Interface raw driver
> 	- Intel FPGA bus
> 	- BPF
>
> Some planned features are postponed to 18.08:
> 	- Hyper-V bus and NetVSC driver
> 	- TAP TSO
> 	- testpmd simulation of noisy host
>
> It is a big release candidate (322 patches),
> but next one is expected to include only some bug fixes,
> tooling or documentation updates.
>
> Everybody is tired by this release which lasts too long.
> So let's try to minimize new risks in order to close it soon.

I appreciate my first series around buildability of dpdk under gcc8 got
in, thanks for the support and assistance.

The series "GCC8 fixes against lagopus" fixes dpdk api headers so you
can actually build things against dpdk with gcc 8.  Today then dpdk
itself builds cleanly under gcc 8, but when you try to build another app
against it with the same compiler, that app can't build cleanly due to
problems specifically in dpdk exported api headers.  These don't show up
during dpdk build but when you actually try to use it.

I understand this stuff is really busy and difficult to manage, life
will go on for me if it gets in later, although you can't build eg
lagopus with gcc8 as it is.  Lagopus has its own problems with gcc 8 but
today they target 18.02 dpdk.  It will be helpful to them and others if
they can target unchanged 18.05 dpdk tag in their dpdk submodule and
then only need patches on their side (which I am preparing) for a clean
gcc8 experience.

-Andy