* [dpdk-dev] DPDK techboard minutes for 19th of December
@ 2019-01-17 17:49 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-01-17 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Meeting notes for the DPDK technical board meeting held on 2019-12-19
Sorry for the belated minutes, but the puppy hair killed my desktop ;-)

Attendees: 6/9
	- Thomas Monjalon
	- Bruce Richardson
	- Ferruh Yigit
	- Maxime Coquelin
	- Olivier Matz
	- Stephen Hemminger

KNI
The existing KNI device is getting trimmed for 19.02.
Consensus this is good, and hope is that KNI can get more work
to improve performance (currently virtio is faster).

Build System
Still not enough automated build and testing is done on DPDK patches.
Investigating getting Open Build Service (SUSE) as continuous build service
to check all patches on all architectures. Luca will do more
investigation.

Mentoring
Testing and build systems are a good way to get new people involved.
Shemminger will look into applying for Google Summer of Code
mentoring.

Test Lab
Discussion of current test lab. Current testing is limited to single
core and only a performance test. Consensus that more investment and
time is needed to get results from the lab. A wider scope is needed.
What about testing stable branches as well?

Process discussion
Ongoing Discussion about gerrit etc. versus current process.
Everyone agrees that current dev mailing list is overloaded to the
point that only a few people read all of it. Ideas included splitting
the mailing list along functional lines (crypto, compress, ipsec, ...)
but concern that then overlapping patches would not get reviewed.
General conclusion that mail is not scaling well, some alternative
mail clients and tools discussed but no actions taken.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK techboard minutes for 19th of December
@ 2019-01-17 18:28 ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2019-01-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, thomas; +Cc: dev

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 09:49 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Meeting notes for the DPDK technical board meeting held on 2019-12-19
> Sorry for the belated minutes, but the puppy hair killed my desktop
> ;-)
>
> Attendees: 6/9
> 	- Thomas Monjalon
> 	- Bruce Richardson
> 	- Ferruh Yigit
> 	- Maxime Coquelin
> 	- Olivier Matz
> 	- Stephen Hemminger
>
> KNI
> The existing KNI device is getting trimmed for 19.02.
> Consensus this is good, and hope is that KNI can get more work
> to improve performance (currently virtio is faster).
>
> Build System
> Still not enough automated build and testing is done on DPDK patches.
> Investigating getting Open Build Service (SUSE) as continuous build
> service
> to check all patches on all architectures. Luca will do more
> investigation.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:bluca:dpdk/dpdk

I've already linked it a few times - it works and builds for various
architectures/distro combinations. GCC only at the moment - RPM using
legacy makefiles, DEB using meson. With more time and work it could
become a full matrix meson/make gcc/clang if desired.

Triggering a source refresh picks up the latest master commit. It would
be pretty simple to automate as a post-receive hook. It can also send
emails on failures with log snippets.

Note that testing not-yet-merged patches on patchwork, although
possible, would require a non-trivial amount of work to integrate.

Let me know if you want to bring this forward or need more info.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi