* Get started contributing to the DPDK
@ 2022-12-28 22:40 Raul Ferrando
From: Raul Ferrando @ 2022-12-28 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Dear DPDK team,

My name is Raul and I recently discovered the DPDK project and I am very interested in contributing and becoming more involved. Can you please provide some guidance on how to get started with my first contribution? I am particularly interested in tackling bugs that are suitable for beginners.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Raul

PS: I do not know where to post this, let me know if this mailing list is not the suitable method.

* Re: Get started contributing to the DPDK
@ 2022-12-29 17:44 ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2022-12-29 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raul Ferrando; +Cc: dev

hi Raul,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 10:40:45PM +0000, Raul Ferrando wrote:
> Dear DPDK team,
>
> My name is Raul and I recently discovered the DPDK project and I am very interested in contributing and becoming more involved. Can you please provide some guidance on how to get started with my first contribution? I am particularly interested in tackling bugs that are suitable for beginners.

dpdk documents contribution guidelines here
https://core.dpdk.org/contribute/

and in more detail here
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/patches.html

welcome! we look forward to your contributions.

* Re: Get started contributing to the DPDK
@ 2022-12-30  1:55   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-12-30  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Retzlaff; +Cc: Raul Ferrando, dev

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:44:13 -0800
Tyler Retzlaff <roretzla@linux.microsoft.com> wrote:

> hi Raul,
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 10:40:45PM +0000, Raul Ferrando wrote:
> > Dear DPDK team,
> >
> > My name is Raul and I recently discovered the DPDK project and I am very interested in contributing and becoming more involved. Can you please provide some guidance on how to get started with my first contribution? I am particularly interested in tackling bugs that are suitable for beginners.
> >

> dpdk documents contribution guidelines here
> https://core.dpdk.org/contribute/
>
> and in more detail here
> https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/patches.html
>
> welcome! we look forward to your contributions.

The bugzilla exists here https://bugs.dpdk.org/ bu not that useful.
Most of the bugs are specific to hardware types.

One bug that could be worked on, is the existing applications and examples
often incorrectly handle shutdown from a signal. It is not safe to call the
close and cleanup functions directly in a signal handler; the proper way to
do it is to only set a flag in the signal handler, then do cleanup in
the main thread when the main loop exits.

* Re: Get started contributing to the DPDK
@ 2022-12-30 18:03     ` Raul Ferrando
From: Raul Ferrando @ 2022-12-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Tyler Retzlaff; +Cc: dev

Perfect