From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
To: Alejandro Lucero <alejandro.lucero@netronome.com>
Cc: Flavio Leitner <fbl@redhat.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>,
	dev <dev@dpdk.org>, Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>,
	"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>,
	David Marchand <david.marchand@6wind.com>,
	jia.guo@intel.com, matan@mellanox.com, "Ananyev,
	Konstantin" <konstantin.ananyev@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] kernel binding of devices + hotplug
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:24:24 +0200	[thread overview]

19/04/2018 08:04, Alejandro Lucero:
> I do not completely understand the discussion, but I think the disagreement
> is due to how some devices interact with DPDK, at least Mellanox ones. I'm
> saying that because we have a DPDK app which starts with no device at all
> (--no-pci) and it relies on device plugging attach/detach for configuring
> and removing ports once devices are bound to VFIO or UIO drivers. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but I think because Mellanox cards do not use VFIO or UIO drivers
> but some specific bound using verbs inside the PMD, leaving all this
> binding to the system does not fit them.

Mellanox uses a bifurcated model for any use.
Others could use a bifurcated model thanks to AF_XDP.
That's why it is more correct to compare "bifurcated model" vs "UIO/VFIO".

> If that is the case, although I agree with leaving the device binding to
> the system, I think it would be fair to contemplate a dual approach for
> legacy reasons, or to leave time for implementing a pseudo system driver
> which Mellanox can use for having same functionality.

I summarize the comparison:
- On one hand, we can configure all the devices only once in DPDK,
but it gives super-powers to the DPDK application.
- On the other hand, we can do a part of the setup at system level
(some kernel binding or flow bifurcation), and we do another part
of the setup in DPDK, splitting/duplicating the setup info in two places.