* [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-25 13:44 Andrii
From: Andrii @ 2018-04-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I could get only 18.02 tag, which is from February.
I want to see exactly which commits are in 18.02.1 and there is no such a
git tag
or github release etc.
Downloading 18.02.1 tarball without git history and comparing sources to
git tree seems quite stupid.
Also the question is why there is no such a branch or at least tag
which points to latest major? That seems strange.

Thanks.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-25 13:47 ` Van Haaren, Harry
> I could get only 18.02 tag, which is from February.
> I want to see exactly which commits are in 18.02.1 and there is no such a
> git tag
> or github release etc.
> Downloading 18.02.1 tarball without git history and comparing sources to
> git tree seems quite stupid.
> Also the question is why there is no such a branch or at least tag
> which points to latest major? That seems strange.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Andrii,

All of the DPDK repos are available here:
http://dpdk.org/browse

Please see the stable repo for various table releases:
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/

You'll find tags, branches and more at the above location, eg:
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/log/?h=v18.02.1

Hope that helps, -Harry

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-25 14:02   ` Andrii
From: Andrii @ 2018-04-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Haaren, Harry; +Cc: dev

Nice.

Thanks Harry.

Yep I got 18.02.1 from dpdk-stable

Is that possible to have tags like  v18.02.1 in http://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
Because the only one I can get from it is v18.02
That would be great also if dpdk.org would provide some link to dpdk-stable
Because now it points only to http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/refs/
which shows only 18.02 as the latest release
So common user is just not able to get 18.02.1 from git anyhow if he is
just
browsing dpdk.org

@ 2018-04-25 14:45     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-04-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii; +Cc: dev, Van Haaren, Harry, web

Hi,

25/04/2018 16:02, Andrii:
> Nice.
>
> Thanks Harry.
>
> Yep I got 18.02.1 from dpdk-stable
>
> Is that possible to have tags like  v18.02.1 in http://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
> Because the only one I can get from it is v18.02

No, the main repo is not managing stable branches.
You will have backports and stable release tags only in dpdk-stable.
But you can have both in the directory by using "git remote add".

> That would be great also if dpdk.org would provide some link to dpdk-stable
> Because now it points only to http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/refs/
> which shows only 18.02 as the latest release

Yes the webpage could point explicitly to it.

> So common user is just not able to get 18.02.1 from git anyhow if he is
> just
> browsing dpdk.org

Note that browsing allows to find it:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/

You will find also a repo dpdk-web to send a patch for such change on the
website. The mailing list is web@dpdk.org (Cc'ed).

@ 2018-04-25 14:47     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-04-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii, Van Haaren, Harry; +Cc: dev

On 4/25/2018 3:02 PM, Andrii wrote:
> Nice.
>
> Thanks Harry.
>
> Yep I got 18.02.1 from dpdk-stable
>
> Is that possible to have tags like  v18.02.1 in http://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
> Because the only one I can get from it is v18.02

It is not possible to create a tag in dpdk.org/git/dpdk for stable releases,
because stable release is not snapshot of the dpdk repo.

For stable tree some sub-set of the patches are cherry-picked from dpdk.org,
also some patches are backported specially for stable releases. That is why
stable versions managed in another repository.

> That would be great also if dpdk.org would provide some link to dpdk-stable
> Because now it points only to http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/refs/
> which shows only 18.02 as the latest release
> So common user is just not able to get 18.02.1 from git anyhow if he is
> just
> browsing dpdk.org

Not able to understand problem here, you can get stable versions from stable
tree repository.

@ 2018-04-25 17:23       ` Andrii
From: Andrii @ 2018-04-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: Van Haaren, Harry, dev

The problem here is that common dpdk user is not able to find a stable
repository
from a website.
That would be great if dpdk.com/download or dpdk.com/dev would contain
a direct link to http://dpdk.org/browse/ for example.

@ 2018-04-26 15:58         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-04-26 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii; +Cc: dev, Ferruh Yigit, Van Haaren, Harry

25/04/2018 19:23, Andrii:
> The problem here is that common dpdk user is not able to find a stable
> repository
> from a website.
> That would be great if dpdk.com/download or dpdk.com/dev would contain
> a direct link to http://dpdk.org/browse/ for example.

It is already like that. Check the first link of http://dpdk.com/dev

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-26 16:15           ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-04-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Andrii; +Cc: dev, Van Haaren, Harry

On 4/26/2018 4:58 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 25/04/2018 19:23, Andrii:
>> The problem here is that common dpdk user is not able to find a stable
>> repository
>> from a website.
>> That would be great if dpdk.com/download or dpdk.com/dev would contain
>> a direct link to http://dpdk.org/browse/ for example.
>
> It is already like that. Check the first link of http://dpdk.com/dev

just in case to not confuse anyone :) https://dpdk.org/dev

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-26 16:27             ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-04-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dev, Van Haaren, Harry, marketing

26/04/2018 18:15, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 4/26/2018 4:58 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > 25/04/2018 19:23, Andrii:
> >> The problem here is that common dpdk user is not able to find a stable
> >> repository
> >> from a website.
> >> That would be great if dpdk.com/download or dpdk.com/dev would contain
> >> a direct link to http://dpdk.org/browse/ for example.
> >
> > It is already like that. Check the first link of http://dpdk.com/dev
>
> just in case to not confuse anyone :) https://dpdk.org/dev

Oh! So it's right, there is not link to git from dpdk.com/dev ;)

Andrii, I think your point is about improving the website experience,
with a better wording perhaps.
Please be aware that it is a work in progress by the marketing group
with the Linux Foundation. They will share some big improvements soon.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] how can I get a git version of Latest Major release? (18.02.1)
@ 2018-04-26 19:25               ` Andrii
From: Andrii @ 2018-04-26 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dev, Van Haaren, Harry, marketing

when its not clear how to get a stable release from git - it sucks.
I don't care which part of team it is: web, dev or marketing.
now there should be one more stupid joke about broken link.

@ 2018-04-26 21:02                 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-04-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dev, Van Haaren, Harry, marketing

I've sent a patch to fix the link in the download page http://dpdk.org/rel