* [dpdk-dev] Starting pktgen in Tx mode only, without calling RX handler - is it possible ?
@ 2018-06-09  7:32 Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2018-06-09  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
Is it possible to configure dpdk-pktgen so that it will start only
transmitting packets, without Rx mode ?
I could not find a way to achieve it.

More specifically, I mean starting dpdk-pktgen so that it won't call
rte_eth_rx_burst()   ?

(rte_eth_rx_burst() is called from pktgen_main_receive(), which is in
turn invoked from pktgen_main_rxtx_loop() and from
pktgen_main_rx_loop() in app/pktgen.c ?

Regards,
KW

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Starting pktgen in Tx mode only, without calling RX handler - is it possible ?
@ 2018-06-09 13:54 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2018-06-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: dev

> On Jun 9, 2018, at 2:32 AM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Is it possible to configure dpdk-pktgen so that it will start only
> transmitting packets, without Rx mode ?
> I could not find a way to achieve it.
>
> More specifically, I mean starting dpdk-pktgen so that it won't call
> rte_eth_rx_burst()   ?
>
> (rte_eth_rx_burst() is called from pktgen_main_receive(), which is in
> turn invoked from pktgen_main_rxtx_loop() and from
> pktgen_main_rx_loop() in app/pktgen.c ?

No, at this time pktgen-dpdk will always attempt to do RX calls as some PMDs like bonding need that RX call for timing.

> Regards,
> KW

Regards,
Keith