* [dpdk-dev] plumbing say test-pmd for non-Intel NICs(drivers)
@ 2013-05-29  8:27 somnath kotur
From: somnath kotur @ 2013-05-29  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

  Pls pardon me if this has been asked/addressed in another thread. Just
wanted to know what i need to do if i wanted to plumb my non-Intel 10G NIC
into the DPDK , For instance just into the test-pmd framework would also be
fine ?
Any pointers /tips welcome?

Thanks
Som

* Re: [dpdk-dev] plumbing say test-pmd for non-Intel NICs(drivers)
@ 2013-05-29 14:23 ` Antti Kantee
From: Antti Kantee @ 2013-05-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 29.05.2013 10:27, somnath kotur wrote:
> Hi,
>    Pls pardon me if this has been asked/addressed in another thread. Just
> wanted to know what i need to do if i wanted to plumb my non-Intel 10G NIC
> into the DPDK , For instance just into the test-pmd framework would also be
> fine ?
> Any pointers /tips welcome?

Hi,

In short, you'd have to write/port a driver for the NIC.  I very
recently did this for the purpose of testing DPDK in a virtual machine
(*).  That said, I got off easy since almost all of the driver code
already existed, and I only had to make minor edits and redo the parts
involved with DMA descriptors.

If you have an understanding of how NIC drivers work, it will take a
varying amount of effort depending on the amount of driver you can
copypaste from other sources.  However, there's no way around having to
know how drivers work.

   - antti

*) https://github.com/anttikantee/dpdk-wm

* Re: [dpdk-dev] plumbing say test-pmd for non-Intel NICs(drivers)
@ 2013-05-29 15:07   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2013-05-29 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Kantee; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:23:07 +0200
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 29.05.2013 10:27, somnath kotur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    Pls pardon me if this has been asked/addressed in another thread. Just
> > wanted to know what i need to do if i wanted to plumb my non-Intel 10G NIC
> > into the DPDK , For instance just into the test-pmd framework would also be
> > fine ?
> > Any pointers /tips welcome?
>
> Hi,
>
> In short, you'd have to write/port a driver for the NIC.  I very
> recently did this for the purpose of testing DPDK in a virtual machine
> (*).  That said, I got off easy since almost all of the driver code
> already existed, and I only had to make minor edits and redo the parts
> involved with DMA descriptors.
>
> If you have an understanding of how NIC drivers work, it will take a
> varying amount of effort depending on the amount of driver you can
> copypaste from other sources.  However, there's no way around having to
> know how drivers work.
>
>    - antti
>
> *) https://github.com/anttikantee/dpdk-wm

I have some patches to get rid of some of the Intel driver assumptions.
I will rebase and post them. They aren't a big deal just some of the hardcoded
flag values are a nuisance.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] plumbing say test-pmd for non-Intel NICs(drivers)
@ 2013-05-29 15:24 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-05-29 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: somnath kotur; +Cc: dev

Hello,

29/05/2013 10:27, somnath kotur :
>   Pls pardon me if this has been asked/addressed in another thread. Just
> wanted to know what i need to do if i wanted to plumb my non-Intel 10G NIC
> into the DPDK , For instance just into the test-pmd framework would also be
> fine ?
> Any pointers /tips welcome?

The main pointer is the doc about the PMD API (called ethdev).
In short, a PMD driver should implement these services (dev_ops):
	http://dpdk.org/doc/api/structeth__dev__ops.html

Don't hesitate to send your patches here to have reviews and integration.

--
Thomas