* [dpdk-dev] Ethtool support in DPDK pmd
@ 2014-06-02 16:31 HS
From: HS @ 2014-06-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Just thought it would be useful to add ethtool support for poll mode
driver, so we could control/check various hardware features on demand.   Do
you guys have any plan for this?

Thanks,
-hs

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Ethtool support in DPDK pmd
@ 2014-06-02 16:37 ` Jayakumar, Muthurajan
From: Jayakumar, Muthurajan @ 2014-06-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hyunseok, dev

Please refer KNI - the support for ethtool e.g., lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/kni/ethtool/igb/igb_main.c

@ 2014-06-02 20:18   ` HS
From: HS @ 2014-06-02 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayakumar, Muthurajan; +Cc: dev

Thanks for your reply.

Sure KNI can offer ethtool interface.  But suppose I am already running a
DPDK application on a physical port, but at the same time I want to control
the port with ethtool like interface.  How could I do that?

-hs

@ 2014-06-02 20:37     ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2014-06-02 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HS; +Cc: dev

* HS (hyunseok@ieee.org) wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Sure KNI can offer ethtool interface.  But suppose I am already running a
> DPDK application on a physical port, but at the same time I want to control
> the port with ethtool like interface.  How could I do that?

HS, I might be missing something there, but with the current model of
usermode device drivers I don't think this is simple.

If drivers stayed in kernel and kernel drivers exposed a mechansim for
registering application dma buffers for dpdk apps, then ethtool would
simply work as-is.

thanks,
-chris

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Ethtool support in DPDK pmd
@ 2014-06-02 21:35       ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2014-06-02 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: hyunseok

On 02/06/2014 22:37, Chris Wright wrote:
> If drivers stayed in kernel and kernel drivers exposed a mechansim for
> registering application dma buffers for dpdk apps, then ethtool would
> simply work as-is.

Yes, that's the right way to go. Currently, the kernel does not provide
a generic framework for that and I am not aware of any projects in order
to define it. Could it be something to discuss on netdev@?

So, as a workaround, some proprietary solutions get implemented in order
to get ethtool running with any DPDK PMD.

Best regards,
   Vincent

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Ethtool support in DPDK pmd
@ 2014-06-03  0:31         ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2014-06-03  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN; +Cc: dev, hyunseok

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 23:35:12 +0200
Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com> wrote:

> On 02/06/2014 22:37, Chris Wright wrote:
> > If drivers stayed in kernel and kernel drivers exposed a mechansim for
> > registering application dma buffers for dpdk apps, then ethtool would
> > simply work as-is.
>
> Yes, that's the right way to go. Currently, the kernel does not provide
> a generic framework for that and I am not aware of any projects in order
> to define it. Could it be something to discuss on netdev@?
>
> So, as a workaround, some proprietary solutions get implemented in order
> to get ethtool running with any DPDK PMD.
>
> Best regards,
>    Vincent

Ethtool has a number of problems. You can implement for KNI or TUN type
devices, but it really doesn't make sense for a generic type driver.
Also, it tends to get used for device specific things.