From: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
To: Gyumin <hkm73560@gmail.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Relationship between H/W ring and S/W ring
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:08:17 +0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 09:51:56AM +0900, Gyumin wrote:
> Thanks Bruce.
>
> I also agree with that the size of the S/W ring depends on the configuration
> parameters because the size of the S/W ring is /sizeof(struct igb_rx_entry)
> * len/ in the ixgbe_dev_rx_queue_setup function. H/W ring is also allocated
> in the same function by using the ring_dma_zone_reserve function, and its
> size is RX_RING_SZ. I don't think the RX_RING_SZ is configurable but it is
> fixed value. Is there any other code configuring the size of H/W ring?

Indeed you are right, my mistake. The comment indicates that we always reserve
the memory to be the maximum size so that we can resize the rings easier later
on.
In terms of runtime usage, though, if you look a the RX functions, you can see
that the two rings are always kept in sync. For example, looking at
ixgbe_rxq_rearm in ixgbe_rxtx_vec.c, you will see that rxdp and rxep values
both start at offset "rxq->rxrearm_start" at the top of the function, and that
in the main rearm loop, both are incremented twice each iteration (rxep += 2 in
the for statment itself, and two rxdp++'s are used in the last two lines of the
loop body).

Regards,
/Bruce