* [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-12  7:06 Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2015-02-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.

For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.

I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
matching version in the local machine.

This would also help me to do some suppoert things for our community, like
making small patches to fix parts of the docs with typos / formatting bugs.

With the steps how to generate them right, I could fix docs bugs in the
sources and make sure the docs read right afterward for others.

Thanks,
Matthew.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-12  9:03 ` Panu Matilainen
From: Panu Matilainen @ 2015-02-12  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 02/12/2015 09:06 AM, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.
>
> For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
> so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
> has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.
>
> I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
> site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
> matching version in the local machine.

Same goes for release notes: old versions should be kept around and
preferably at the original url, which requires them to be versioned from
the start.

	- Panu -

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-12  9:29 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-02-12  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

Hi Matthew,

2015-02-11 23:06, Matthew Hall:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.
>
> For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
> so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
> has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.

Yes, previous policy was to publish only the doc of latest release.
But starting with 1.8 (first release including guides), we'll keep every versions.
Example:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/api
	http://dpdk.org/doc/api-1.8
The web page will be modified to list different versions.

> I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
> site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
> matching version in the local machine.

Yes you can: make doc
For doxygen API only: make doc-api-html
For sphinx only: doc-guides-html.

@ 2015-02-12  9:39   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-02-12  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panu Matilainen; +Cc: dev

2015-02-12 11:03, Panu Matilainen:
> On 02/12/2015 09:06 AM, Matthew Hall wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.
> >
> > For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
> > so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
> > has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.
> >
> > I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
> > site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
> > matching version in the local machine.
>
> Same goes for release notes: old versions should be kept around and
> preferably at the original url, which requires them to be versioned from
> the start.

Panu, release notes are part of the git tree since release 1.8.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-12  9:55     ` Panu Matilainen
From: Panu Matilainen @ 2015-02-12  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On 02/12/2015 11:39 AM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-02-12 11:03, Panu Matilainen:
>> On 02/12/2015 09:06 AM, Matthew Hall wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.
>>>
>>> For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
>>> so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
>>> has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
>>> site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
>>> matching version in the local machine.
>>
>> Same goes for release notes: old versions should be kept around and
>> preferably at the original url, which requires them to be versioned from
>> the start.
>
> Panu, release notes are part of the git tree since release 1.8.

Sure, but what you find at
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/doc/guides/rel_notes?h=releases&id=v1.8.0
is not very presentable, even if it is readable in the "source" format.

What I mean is ... oh, http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-1.8/ works so it IS
already there, only entirely hidden in the sense that nothing at all
points to the versioned tree AFAICS.

So never mind then :) except perhaps making the versioned docs (API and
all) more visible.

	- Panu -

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-17  8:48   ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2015-02-17  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Feb 12, 2015, at 1:29 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
> Yes you can: make doc
> For doxygen API only: make doc-api-html
> For sphinx only: doc-guides-html.

Hi Thomas,

In 1.7 for me at least I found the target was called: doc-htmlapi .

Did the way this stuff works get changed at some point?

@ 2015-02-17  9:30     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-02-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: dev

2015-02-17 00:48, Matthew Hall:
> On Feb 12, 2015, at 1:29 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
> > Yes you can: make doc
> > For doxygen API only: make doc-api-html
> > For sphinx only: doc-guides-html.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> In 1.7 for me at least I found the target was called: doc-htmlapi .
>
> Did the way this stuff works get changed at some point?

Yes, you're right. It has been renamed.
But I think you should better work on improving the HEAD ;)

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers
@ 2015-02-17  9:33       ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2015-02-17  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Feb 17, 2015, at 1:30 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
> Yes, you're right. It has been renamed.
> But I think you should better work on improving the HEAD ;)

Yes, I agree. But to get to this point I have to get the core application features to even work in 1.7, before I can switch the app to 1.8. :)

It should not be too much longer I hope. I'm pushing hard on the last feature I want done, but it's server-side-only TCP so it will take a while I think.

Matthew.