* [dpdk-dev] kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kni_single:1782]
@ 2015-02-11  1:33 Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2015-02-11  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dev

Environment:
  * DPDK 1.6.0r2
  * Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
  * kernel: 3.13.0-38-generic

When we start exercising KNI a fair bit (transferring files across it, both
sending and receiving), I'm starting to see a fair bit of these kernel
lockups:

kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kni_single:1782]

Frequently I can't do much other than get a screenshot of the error message
coming across the console session once we get into this state, so debugging
what is happening is "interesting"...

I've seen this on multiple hardware platforms (so not box specific) as well
as virtual machines.

Are there any known issues with KNI that would cause kernel lockups in DPDK
1.6? Really hoping someone that knows KNI well can point me in the right
direction.

KNI in the 1.8 tree is significantly different, so it didn't look
straight-forward to back-port it, although I do see a few changes that
might be relevant.

Any suggestions, pointers or other general help for tracking this down?

Thanks!
Jay