* [dpdk-dev] PMD architecture related to code
@ 2015-03-13  4:45 kuldeep.samasi
From: kuldeep.samasi @ 2015-03-13  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: dev-bounces

Hi Developer Team ,

I am trying add new functionality on Poll Mode driver .
But I don't have idea how packets are coming to kernel mode and going to user space and doing packet processing DPDK .

I need suggestion on which file the PMD architecture defined .

Regards ,
Kuldeep

* Re: [dpdk-dev] PMD architecture related to code
@ 2015-03-13  5:18 ` Akshay
From: Akshay @ 2015-03-13  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kuldeep.samasi; +Cc: dev

Kuldeep,

The documentation on dpdk.org explains quite a lot about the architecture.
I suggest you go through it first.

http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/

-Akshay

@ 2015-03-13 10:45   ` kuldeep.samasi
From: kuldeep.samasi @ 2015-03-13 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akshay.ranjan; +Cc: dev, dev-bounces

Hi Akshay ,

I already gone through the DPDK prog guide , but I am wondering to know how Poll Mode driver working IN DPDK framework .

Regards
Kuldeep

I am trying add new functionality on Poll Mode driver .
But I don't have idea how packets are coming to kernel mode and going to user space and doing packet processing DPDK .

I need suggestion on which file the PMD architecture defined .

Regards ,
Kuldeep
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com<http://www.wipro.com>

* Re: [dpdk-dev] PMD architecture related to code
@ 2015-03-13 10:57     ` Akshay
From: Akshay @ 2015-03-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kuldeep.samasi; +Cc: dev, dev-bounces

If you mean the actual working, then you'd to explore the code for PMD
drivers that DPDK supports (I suggest try igb).

I tried my hands at making a Atheros E2200 linux driver as PMD for DPDK but
didn't complete it.

-Akshay

@ 2015-03-13 14:51 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-03-13 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kuldeep.samasi; +Cc: dev, dev-bounces

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 04:45:47AM +0000, kuldeep.samasi@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi Developer Team ,
>

> I am trying add new functionality on Poll Mode driver .
> But I don't have idea how packets are coming to kernel mode and going to user space and doing packet processing DPDK .

The packets never go into the kernel when DPDK is in use. Instead the DPDK PMD
configures the NIC to DMA the packets directly into userspace buffers. Hence the
high performance.

/Bruce

@ 2015-03-14  7:52   ` kuldeep.samasi
From: kuldeep.samasi @ 2015-03-14  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.richardson; +Cc: dev, dev-bounces

Thank for replay Bruce ,

I am looking code related to NIC to DMA mapping and DMA to user space .

Suggestions are welcome .

Regards,
Kuldeep

> I am trying add new functionality on Poll Mode driver .
> But I don't have idea how packets are coming to kernel mode and going to user space and doing packet processing DPDK .

The packets never go into the kernel when DPDK is in use. Instead the DPDK PMD configures the NIC to DMA the packets directly into userspace buffers. Hence the high performance.

/Bruce

> I need suggestion on which file the PMD architecture defined .
>

> Regards ,
> Kuldeep
> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

* Re: [dpdk-dev] ["Potential Spoofed"] Re: PMD architecture related to code
@ 2015-03-17 13:03     ` kuldeep.samasi
From: kuldeep.samasi @ 2015-03-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kuldeep.samasi, bruce.richardson; +Cc: dev, dev-bounces

HI ,

On PMD any logical flow and code flow for DPDK-1.7.1 .
Suggestions are welcome .

Regards
Kuldeep