* [dpdk-dev] library choices for AES CBC/GCM on dpdk app datapath
@ 2015-04-01 22:54 Deep Debroy
From: Deep Debroy @ 2015-04-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has pointers for a crypto library
implementing AES CBC and GCM that I can use for encrypting network packets
in a DPDK app's datapath.

The app is supposed to run in a VM in the cloud. So access to crypto
acceleration hardware (besides Intel AES NI/pmuludq) may not be present.

Does it make sense to look into OpenSSL and invoking it's APIs from a DPDK
app?

Thanks!

* Re: [dpdk-dev] library choices for AES CBC/GCM on dpdk app datapath
@ 2015-04-02 11:30 ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2015-04-02 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deep Debroy; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 03:54:27PM -0700, Deep Debroy wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has pointers for a crypto library
> implementing AES CBC and GCM that I can use for encrypting network packets
> in a DPDK app's datapath.
>
> The app is supposed to run in a VM in the cloud. So access to crypto
> acceleration hardware (besides Intel AES NI/pmuludq) may not be present.
>
> Does it make sense to look into OpenSSL and invoking it's APIs from a DPDK
> app?
>
> Thanks!

The openssl libcrypto library provides most of the above I think.  You can also
just use the AF_ALG protocol to leverage the kernels crypto resources.

Neil