* [dpdk-dev] Running testpmd over KNI
@ 2015-06-04 21:01 Navneet Rao
       [not found] ` <20150605102401.GA10892@bricha3-MOBL3>
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-06-04 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Running ---

./testpmd -c7 -n3 --vdev=eth_pcap0,iface=vEth0 --vdev=eth_pcap1,iface=vEth1 -- -i --nb-cores=2 --nb-ports=2 --total-num-mbufs=1024

results in a

EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1

  Cause: Cannot create lock on '/var/run/.rte_config'. Is another primary process running?

I don't think I am running another process using testpmd!!!

Any ideas to debug this?

Thanks

-Navneet

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Running testpmd over KNI
@ 2015-06-04 21:59 ` Navneet Rao
       [not found] ` <20150605102401.GA10892@bricha3-MOBL3>
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-06-04 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Running testpmd as proc-type=auto now results in a SEGMENTATION FAULT!!!
Now trying to debug the source of the memory leak!!!

Actually I want to do this -
Use the testpmd app to setup TX/RX traffic on the 2 NICs that have been now configured as Kernel-NICs.
Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks
-Navneet

       [not found]   ` <152b86ce-b920-4fe9-a503-ebe65fc18846@default>
@ 2015-06-05 17:20     ` Navneet Rao
From: Navneet Rao @ 2015-06-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Hi Bruce:

Actually I want to use the TESTPMD app as a packet-generator/checker driving the KNI-enabled NICs.
Is there an easy way to packet generate/check than testpmd?

Please see attached.

Thanks
-Navneet

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 02:01:19PM -0700, Navneet Rao wrote:
> Running ---
>

> ./testpmd -c7 -n3 --vdev=eth_pcap0,iface=vEth0
> --vdev=eth_pcap1,iface=vEth1 -- -i --nb-cores=2 --nb-ports=2
> --total-num-mbufs=1024
>

> results in a
>

> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>
>   Cause: Cannot create lock on '/var/run/.rte_config'. Is another primary process running?
>

> I don't think I am running another process using testpmd!!!
>
> Any ideas to debug this?
>

> Thanks
>
> -Navneet

Hi Navneet,

I'm a little unclear on your setup here. You are using a DPDK process to pull packets from a physical NIC and send them to the kernel using KNI. Then you want to have testpmd pull those packets from the KNI device using pcap back into user- space before returning them via the same sort of path i.e. userspace, pcap to kernel, kni back to userspace and out again. Can you explain why you want such a setup, as it will work very slowly compared to just running everything directly in userspace?

As for your specific issue. If you have a DPDK process running to manage the KNI device, that is the process holding the lock on .rte_config. You will need to run the second process with a different file-prefix parameter to have two DPDK processes running side-by-side.

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Running testpmd over KNI
@ 2015-06-08 10:44       ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-06-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navneet Rao; +Cc: dev

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:20:09AM -0700, Navneet Rao wrote:
> Hi Bruce:
>
> Actually I want to use the TESTPMD app as a packet-generator/checker driving the KNI-enabled NICs.
> Is there an easy way to packet generate/check than testpmd?
>
> Please see attached.
>
> Thanks
> -Navneet

What part of KNI are you looking to test, under what conditions. Do you just
want to check the throughput of traffic going from userspace to
kernel and back out again?

/Bruce