* [dpdk-dev] abi change announce
@ 2015-07-30  9:25 Xie, Huawei
From: Xie, Huawei @ 2015-07-30  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, dev

Hi Thomas:
I am doing virtio/vhost performance optimization, so there is possibly
some change, for example to virtio or vhost virtqueue data structure.
Do i need to announce the ABI change even if the change hasn't been
determined?

/huawei

* Re: [dpdk-dev] abi change announce
@ 2015-07-30 10:18 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-07-30 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xie, Huawei, nhorman; +Cc: dev

2015-07-30 09:25, Xie, Huawei:
> Hi Thomas:
> I am doing virtio/vhost performance optimization, so there is possibly
> some change, for example to virtio or vhost virtqueue data structure.
> Do i need to announce the ABI change even if the change hasn't been
> determined?

I have no strong opinion.
It seems strange to announce something which is not known.
You may be able to introduce your change without previous notice by using
NEXT_ABI if not too invasive.

Neil, an opinion?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] abi change announce
@ 2015-07-30 10:33   ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2015-07-30 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:18:41PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-07-30 09:25, Xie, Huawei:
> > Hi Thomas:
> > I am doing virtio/vhost performance optimization, so there is possibly
> > some change, for example to virtio or vhost virtqueue data structure.
> > Do i need to announce the ABI change even if the change hasn't been
> > determined?
>
> I have no strong opinion.
> It seems strange to announce something which is not known.
> You may be able to introduce your change without previous notice by using
> NEXT_ABI if not too invasive.
>
> Neil, an opinion?

Given the process, you can't announce the change until you know what it is,
since you need to detail in the announcement what the change is going to be.

We have no method to reserve an 'ABI break to be determined later', nor should
we.  Write the code, then we figure out if ABI needs to change and there is a
need to announce.

Neil