* [dpdk-dev] ixgbe vPMD question
@ 2015-09-17 20:28 Zoltan Kiss
From: Zoltan Kiss @ 2015-09-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, konstantin.ananyev, Richardson, Bruce

Hi,

The recv function does a prefetch on cacheline1, however it seems to me
that rx_pkts[pos] should be uninitialized pointer at that time:

http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx_vec.c#n287

So I guess it prefetches only random value. Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Zoltan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] ixgbe vPMD question
@ 2015-09-18 16:20 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-09-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Kiss; +Cc: dev

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:28:31PM +0100, Zoltan Kiss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The recv function does a prefetch on cacheline1, however it seems to me that
> rx_pkts[pos] should be uninitialized pointer at that time:
>
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_rxtx_vec.c#n287
>
> So I guess it prefetches only random value. Or am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Zoltan

>From a look at the code, you may indeed by right here. We'll see about fixing
that up in a future patch.