* [dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?
@ 2015-12-04 11:25 Eimear Morrissey
From: Eimear Morrissey @ 2015-12-04 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the i40e pmd failing to initialise a port. I've
tried powercycling with the linux i40e driver removed and blacklisted as
suggested here: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019132.html, but
it's still persisting. It used to initialise without issues so I'm not sure
what could have changed? I'm running it in the host at the moment but I
have used that port pci passthrough'd to a guest also.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Eimear

EAL: PCI device 0000:86:00.0 on NUMA socket 1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1572 rte_i40e_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40000000
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40800000
PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: Requested device 0000:86:00.0 cannot be used

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?
@ 2015-12-04 17:36 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-12-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eimear Morrissey; +Cc: dev

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:25:09 +0000
"Eimear Morrissey" <eimear.morrissey@ie.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having an issue with the i40e pmd failing to initialise a port. I've
> tried powercycling with the linux i40e driver removed and blacklisted as
> suggested here: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019132.html, but
> it's still persisting. It used to initialise without issues so I'm not sure
> what could have changed? I'm running it in the host at the moment but I
> have used that port pci passthrough'd to a guest also.
>
> Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Eimear
>
> EAL: PCI device 0000:86:00.0 on NUMA socket 1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1572 rte_i40e_pmd
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40000000
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40800000
> PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>   Cause: Requested device 0000:86:00.0 cannot be used

For me, it turned out to be a bug in earlier version
of a patch to support xen dom0.  This happens if the memory zone
setup in i40e_allocate_dma_mem_d was not providing correct addresses.

Anyway check if you have that correct.

Also, updating firmware took more effort than expected.
  1. Need to run Intel's out of tree Linux driver for i40e
     or the version in 4.4-rc1 or later.
  2. Need to use Linux driver (ie no DPDK)
  3. System needs access to internet to download firmware

Overall, it is one of those "pray for bits" updates.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?
@ 2015-12-07 11:13   ` Eimear Morrissey
From: Eimear Morrissey @ 2015-12-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote on 12/04/2015 05:36:08
PM:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
> To: Eimear Morrissey/Ireland/IBM@IBMIE
> Cc: dev@dpdk.org
> Date: 12/04/2015 05:36 PM
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?
>
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:25:09 +0000
> "Eimear Morrissey" <eimear.morrissey@ie.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having an issue with the i40e pmd failing to initialise a port.
I've
> > tried powercycling with the linux i40e driver removed and blacklisted
as
> > suggested here: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019132.html,
but
> > it's still persisting. It used to initialise without issues so I'm not
sure
> > what could have changed? I'm running it in the host at the moment but I
> > have used that port pci passthrough'd to a guest also.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eimear
> >
> > EAL: PCI device 0000:86:00.0 on NUMA socket 1
> > EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1572 rte_i40e_pmd
> > EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40000000
> > EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40800000
> > PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
> > EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
> >   Cause: Requested device 0000:86:00.0 cannot be used
>

> For me, it turned out to be a bug in earlier version
> of a patch to support xen dom0.  This happens if the memory zone
> setup in i40e_allocate_dma_mem_d was not providing correct addresses.
>
> Anyway check if you have that correct.
>
> Also, updating firmware took more effort than expected.
>   1. Need to run Intel's out of tree Linux driver for i40e
>      or the version in 4.4-rc1 or later.
>   2. Need to use Linux driver (ie no DPDK)
>   3. System needs access to internet to download firmware
>
> Overall, it is one of those "pray for bits" updates.

I'm using DPDK 2.1.0 - I'm not sure if that has the correct patch version
or not?

What's confusing is that it used to work but now it's completely stopped
working & nothing (powercycling, binding to different drivers and back,
even replacing the actual card) seems to affect it.

I haven't upgraded the firmware on the card, but will try.

-Eimear