* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Windows Community call - 04 April 2019
@ 2019-04-08 21:27 Ranjit Menon
From: Ranjit Menon @ 2019-04-08 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Attendees:
Thomas (thomas@monjalon.net)
Eilon (eilong@mellanox.com)
Raslan (rasland@mellanox.com)
Harini (harini.ramakrishnan@microsoft.com)
Bruce (bruce.richardson@intel.com)
Cathal (cathal.ohare@intel.com)
Anand (anand.rawat@intel.com)
Pallavi (pallavi.kadam@intel.com)
Ranjit (ranjit.menon@intel.com)

Minutes:
* Attendees reviewed call time and agreed to keep current time unchanged.
* Call needs to cover the following locations: Ireland, US west coast,
Israel, India, France, Palestine
* It’s expected that more contributor companies may join the call
(expressions of interest made)
* The current release (19.05) common files are now frozen in RC1.
  - Early development and owned area files may have changes in RC2 or RC3
  - However 19.08 will be stricter, in keeping changes to RC1.
* For Windows dev, next big step is to work on PCI / Kernel module.
  - meson not required for kernel builds
  - msbuild is fine, needs WDK for kernel builds in Windows
  - Mellanox supports bus/pci port should be our next target
  - Intel has latest bus/pci updates available in windows draft repo
  - Changes are based on 18.08 (so need to rebase to 19.05)
* 19.08/19.11 – would bring extra libraries & 40GB (Intel) PMD for L2
forward.
* Intel may have a need to send some PMD functionality in 19.08 and
other functionality in 19.11.
* Thomas agrees libraries (eal) then kernel module then bus/pci then
Intel PMD (i40e) would be an approach supported by the community in
building up functionality.
* Microsoft – no current assignable resources, but when resources
available, will help with port. Will look into UIO driver.

Advice for this project:
* Encourage others to use draft repo common code – to align on licenses
and meson/msbuild building
* Need to rebase to 19.05  from 18.08 (this needs to be solved first)
* We need to make clear the status of the work on windows
   - publish a roadmap on dpdk.org for 19.08 & 19.11.
* We need to be clear on draft repo usage, naming, branching etc.
   - Also maintain history.
   - Always send patches to the draft repo.
   - Send when ready send to the mailing list.
   - If the patches are NOT to be merged, please add a tag to the title
(19.08, 19.11, etc.).

* CI: The community lab support will need to be improved, need to ask
for Windows additions to the Community lab (UNH).
* Mellanox plan to include CI for windows, target end of Q3
* rte_panic() – this is everywhere in Linux.
  - We are always working to remove rte_panic from all patches.
  - Please return error rather than exit.

Agenda for next call:
  – good to sync up on the bus/pci and general status.