* [dpdk-dev] Memory footprint of a PMD
       [not found] <899934402.3791304.1556876242992.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2019-05-03  9:37 ` P Smith
From: P Smith @ 2019-05-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,     Given that a dpdk driver uses rte_malloc_xx() and friends to allocate/free its memory what is the best way to find out the runtime memory footprint of a PMD ? One can use 'malloc_info' to dump the malloc output in case of general 'malloc' ...but what is the way here since it's all hugepages ? How to know the memory /footprint of my testpmd /application at different points during run-time?Is there a tool or some API i can invoke to find out the same?
Thanks P

* [dpdk-dev] Memory footprint of a PMD
@ 2019-05-03  9:37   ` P Smith
From: P Smith @ 2019-05-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,     Given that a dpdk driver uses rte_malloc_xx() and friends to allocate/free its memory what is the best way to find out the runtime memory footprint of a PMD ? One can use 'malloc_info' to dump the malloc output in case of general 'malloc' ...but what is the way here since it's all hugepages ? How to know the memory /footprint of my testpmd /application at different points during run-time?Is there a tool or some API i can invoke to find out the same?
Thanks P

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Memory footprint of a PMD
@ 2019-05-03 10:02   ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-05-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: P Smith, dev

On 03-May-19 10:37 AM, P Smith wrote:
> Hi,     Given that a dpdk driver uses rte_malloc_xx() and friends to allocate/free its memory what is the best way to find out the runtime memory footprint of a PMD ? One can use 'malloc_info' to dump the malloc output in case of general 'malloc' ...but what is the way here since it's all hugepages ? How to know the memory /footprint of my testpmd /application at different points during run-time?Is there a tool or some API i can invoke to find out the same?
> Thanks P

I don't think there is a way to do this currently, other than tracing
all PMD's allocations.

That said, there is an API to find total usage of DPDK memory - look int
rte_malloc_heap_stats related API's.

Anatoly

From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-05-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: P Smith, dev

@ 2019-05-03 19:03     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-05-03 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: P Smith, dev

On Fri, 3 May 2019 11:02:15 +0100
"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com> wrote:

> On 03-May-19 10:37 AM, P Smith wrote:
> > Hi,     Given that a dpdk driver uses rte_malloc_xx() and friends to allocate/free its memory what is the best way to find out the runtime memory footprint of a PMD ? One can use 'malloc_info' to dump the malloc output in case of general 'malloc' ...but what is the way here since it's all hugepages ? How to know the memory /footprint of my testpmd /application at different points during run-time?Is there a tool or some API i can invoke to find out the same?
> > Thanks P
> >

> I don't think there is a way to do this currently, other than tracing
> all PMD's allocations.
>
> That said, there is an API to find total usage of DPDK memory - look int
> rte_malloc_heap_stats related API's.

rte_malloc and friends allocate from memory pool in huge pages, not the normal
malloc heap. The mempool does have compile option for debug which does keep statistics.
Then rte_mempool_dump (or rte_mempool_walk and rte_mempool_dump) can be used to show info.

From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-05-03 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly; +Cc: P Smith, dev