From: Neil Horman <nhorman@tuxdriver.com>
To: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Cc: Victor Huertas <vhuertas@gmail.com>, dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Proposal to add a new toolchain for dpdk: g++
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 08:12:56 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 02:39:58PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:01:21AM +0100, Victor Huertas wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using DPDK development environment to develop an application from
> > which I have to access C++ code.
> > I managed to modify some internal mk files in the dpdk-stable repository to
> > allow g++ compiler to be supported.
> >
> > I have all the modified files well identified and I wonder if the support
> > team is interested to add this toolchain in future DPDK releases.
> >
> Rather than trying to build DPDK with g++, or to use the DPDK makefiles
> with your C++ application, can I recommend instead that you treat DPDK as
> any third-party library and build it independently of your application.
>
> If you compile and install DPDK using meson and ninja - or install the
> DPDK package from your linux distro - you will have a 'libdpdk.pc' file
> installed for use by pkg-config. Then for building your application, put in
> the relevant calls to pkg-config i.e. 'pkg-config --cflags libdpdk' and
> 'pkg-config --libs libdpdk', into your app makefile and work from there.

yes, exactly this.  The proscribed method of handling issues like this is to
either:

1) Build dpdk separately (or just install it from whatever distribution you are
using, if thats an option), and just link against it (either statically or
dynamically) when you build your application.

2)  If you embed dpdk source in your
environment, and build it at the same time as your application, you should
interface to its build system, by just calling ninja/meson or make from a build
target in your application - the dpdk build file should properly select gcc
instead of g++, which you should already have if you have g++ installed.

Neil