* e1000 forced 1G support?
@ 2022-02-11  1:30 Bly, Mike
From: Bly, Mike @ 2022-02-11  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,

This is in regards to the DPDK E1000 driver used for the i350 [8086:1521] NIC.

I am looking to see if we can get forced speed == 1000Mb (1Gb) support working on this NIC. The current DPDK driver does not appear to have support for forcing the NIC to 1G (1000M) speed. It only supports setting 100M and 10M. Is there a reason for this? Refer to: e1000_phy_force_speed_duplex_setup() in drivers/net/e1000/base/e1000_phy.c.

Based on my reading of ethernet-controller-i350-datasheet.pdf it would seem we should be able to force the speed to 1G. However, even after "updating" the above mentioned function to try and support a 1G forced speed, the only way we can get two of these NICs to link up to each other at 1G, is to set the port to auto-neg. We can certainly force speed on one link to 100M or 10M and the other NIC will link up, but no luck for 1G, regardless of whether we have one or both sides in a forced speed vs. auto-neg mode.

Is there a limitation I missed in the PDF perhaps?

-Mike

* RE: e1000 forced 1G support?
@ 2022-02-11  8:57 ` Morten Brørup
> This is in regards to the DPDK E1000 driver used for the i350 [8086:1521] NIC.
>
> I am looking to see if we can get forced speed == 1000Mb (1Gb) support working on this NIC. The current DPDK driver does not appear to have support for forcing the NIC to 1G (1000M) speed. It only supports setting 100M and 10M. Is there a reason for this? Refer to: e1000_phy_force_speed_duplex_setup() in drivers/net/e1000/base/e1000_phy.c.
>
> Based on my reading of ethernet-controller-i350-datasheet.pdf it would seem we should be able to force the speed to 1G. However, even after "updating" the above mentioned function to try and support a 1G forced speed, the only way we can get two of these NICs to link up to each other at 1G, is to set the port to auto-neg. We can certainly force speed on one link to 100M or 10M and the other NIC will link up, but no luck for 1G, regardless of whether we have one or both sides in a forced speed vs. auto-neg mode.
>
> Is there a limitation I missed in the PDF perhaps?

Hi Mike,

Auto-negotiation is a *requirement* for 1 Gbps according to the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet standard, so the way to force 1 Gbps is: Enable auto-negotiation and only advertise 1 Gbps.

In other words: You cannot establish a 1 Gbps link without auto-neg.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
-Morten Brørup

* Re: e1000 forced 1G support?
@ 2022-02-11 14:44   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Bly, Mike, dev

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:57:31 +0100
Morten Brørup <mb@smartsharesystems.com> wrote:

> [...]

Also, check your cable. 1G requires all 4 wire pairs to be connected. But 100M can get by with 2 pairs

* RE: [**EXTERNAL**] Re: e1000 forced 1G support?
@ 2022-02-11 17:23     ` Bly, Mike
From: Bly, Mike @ 2022-02-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Morten Brørup; +Cc: dev

Morten,

Thank you for the reminder. Need to dust off my IEEE stds once in a while I guess.

Stephen, cabling is good. We are able to run 1G with aneg enabled.

Thanks to both for the speedy response.

-Mike