* Flow Bifurcation of splitting the traffic between kernel space and user space (DPDK)
@ 2022-10-28 21:09 Ramakrishnan G
From: Ramakrishnan G @ 2022-10-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaron.f.brown, dev, saravana3

Dear Aaron and DPDK Dev Team,

Thanks for the Article talks about the Traffic Flow bifurcation
between kernel space and user space (DPDK) (3. Flow Bifurcation How-to
Guide — Data Plane Development Kit 16.07.2 documentation (dpdk.org)
<https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.07/howto/flow_bifurcation.html>)

We are trying to test this functionality for sending only the SSH (port 22)
traffic to kernel and all the other traffic to be transferred to the user
space (DPDK) by assigning same IP for both the virtual interface (one
virtual interface is owned by the DPDK and another virtual interface is
owned by the DPDK )

Using the igb driver with max_vfs setting, we were able to create the
virtual link and map it to user space (DPDK) and another link into kernel
space. we assigned different IP addresses and we were able to reach from
other host.

But when we are trying to configure the flow-type for port 22

Ubuntu# ethtool -K eth9 ntuple on
Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 0
rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument
Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 1
rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument
Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 2
rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument

We tried to apply the patch that was given in the following link,
(
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/1451456399-13353-1-git-send-email-gangfeng.huang@ni.com/#1236040
)

But we couldn't patch any of the latest igb driver and we tried to patch
with the 2016 igb driver.

please help us in sharing the info where can we apply the patch for igb
driver in Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Ram

* Re: Flow Bifurcation of splitting the traffic between kernel space and user space (DPDK)
@ 2022-10-31 17:27 ` Ramakrishnan G
From: Ramakrishnan G @ 2022-10-31 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaron.f.brown, dev, saravana3

Dear Aaron, DPDK Dev team,

pls help in solving this issue. We would like to have the same IP Address
for linux and DPDK user space and have the flow type defined for routing
the respective port traffic

Thanks,
Ram

@ 2022-11-01  0:12 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-11-01  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramakrishnan G; +Cc: aaron.f.brown, dev, saravana3

On Sat, 29 Oct 2022 02:39:01 +0530
Ramakrishnan G <gramakr@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ramakrishnan G <gramakr@gmail.com>
> To: aaron.f.brown@intel.com, dev@dpdk.org, saravana3@gmail.com
> Subject: Flow Bifurcation of splitting the traffic between kernel space and  user space (DPDK)
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 02:39:01 +0530
>
> Dear Aaron and DPDK Dev Team,
>
> Thanks for the Article talks about the Traffic Flow bifurcation
> between kernel space and user space (DPDK) (3. Flow Bifurcation How-to
> Guide — Data Plane Development Kit 16.07.2 documentation (dpdk.org)
> <https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.07/howto/flow_bifurcation.html>)

That DPDK release is over 6 years old. That feature is no longer supported on Intel
NIC's. You are better off using AF_XDP.

> We are trying to test this functionality for sending only the SSH (port 22)
> traffic to kernel and all the other traffic to be transferred to the user
> space (DPDK) by assigning same IP for both the virtual interface (one
> virtual interface is owned by the DPDK and another virtual interface is
> owned by the DPDK )
>
> Using the igb driver with max_vfs setting, we were able to create the
> virtual link and map it to user space (DPDK) and another link into kernel
> space. we assigned different IP addresses and we were able to reach from
> other host.
>
> But when we are trying to configure the flow-type for port 22
>
> Ubuntu# ethtool -K eth9 ntuple on
> Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 0
> rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument
> Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 1
> rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument
> Ubuntu## ethtool -N eth9 flow-type ip4 dst-port 22 action 2
> rmgr: Cannot insert RX class rule: Invalid argument
>
> We tried to apply the patch that was given in the following link,
> (
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/1451456399-13353-1-git-send-email-gangfeng.huang@ni.com/#1236040
> )
>
> But we couldn't patch any of the latest igb driver and we tried to patch
> with the 2016 igb driver.
>
> please help us in sharing the info where can we apply the patch for igb
> driver in Ubuntu.

The igb NIC does not have an flow direction.
The bifurcation for Intel NIC is based off of kernel flow director.

* Re: Flow Bifurcation of splitting the traffic between kernel space and user space (DPDK)
@ 2022-11-01  2:30   ` Ramakrishnan G
From: Ramakrishnan G @ 2022-11-01  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephen; +Cc: aaron.f.brown, dev, saravana3