* [dpdk-dev] ixgbevf missed stats
@ 2016-03-10 12:27 Yaron Illouz
From: Yaron Illouz @ 2016-03-10 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi

There is no statistics of missed packet for ixgbevf in a vm.
How can I get these stats?
In ixgbe it is called imissed

* Re: [dpdk-dev] ixgbevf missed stats
@ 2016-03-10 12:40 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-03-10 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Illouz, dev

Hi Yaron,
The stats of PF is done by HW. The bad news is I don' find anything for VF. I also doubt if there's corresponding stats for VF.

@ 2016-03-10 12:53   ` Yaron Illouz
From: Yaron Illouz @ 2016-03-10 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo, dev

So I can't know if there where dropps!!!
Is this the same for dpdk with virtio? Can I know if there where dropps?

@ 2016-03-11  0:47     ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-03-11  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Illouz, dev

Hi Yaron,

Missed means the RX buffer is not enough. What's in my mind is that there's only one buffer shared, so we cannot split it to every VF. So, for VF, we have to check the PF stats to know there's jam.

> Is this the same for dpdk with virtio? Can I know if there where dropps?
I think this's another story. Let's wait and see what the virtio experts will teach us :)

@ 2016-03-11  0:52       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-03-11  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Illouz; +Cc: dev, Michael S. Tsirkin

2016-03-11 00:47, Lu, Wenzhuo:
> From: Yaron Illouz [mailto:yaroni@radcom.com]
> > Is this the same for dpdk with virtio? Can I know if there where dropps?
> I think this's another story. Let's wait and see what the virtio experts will teach us :)

I'm not a virtio expert, but I think it's difficult to communicate an
imissed information when the interface between host and guest is overloaded.

CC Michael Tsirkin who has probably already thought how to solve it.
Would it be possible to have some notifications when packets are dropped
in vhost due to jam?