* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] attach/detach on secondary process
       [not found]   ` <20171213090952.495bfb1b@xeon-e3>
@ 2017-12-13 21:00     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-12-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Roldan; +Cc: users, Stephen Hemminger, dev

13/12/2017 18:09, Stephen Hemminger:
> Many DPDK drivers require that setup and initialization be done by
> the primary process. This is mostly to avoid dealing with concurrency since
> there can be multiple secondary processes.

I think we should consider this limitation as a bug.
We must allow a secondary process to initialize a device.
The race in device creation must be fixed.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] attach/detach on secondary process
@ 2017-12-13 21:10       ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-12-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ricardo Roldan, users, dev

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 22:00:48 +0100
Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> 13/12/2017 18:09, Stephen Hemminger:
> > Many DPDK drivers require that setup and initialization be done by
> > the primary process. This is mostly to avoid dealing with concurrency since
> > there can be multiple secondary processes.
>
> I think we should consider this limitation as a bug.
> We must allow a secondary process to initialize a device.
> The race in device creation must be fixed.

Secondary processes should be able to do setup.
But it is up to the application not to do it concurrently from multiple
processes.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] attach/detach on secondary process
@ 2017-12-13 21:20         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-12-13 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: Ricardo Roldan, users, dev

13/12/2017 22:10, Stephen Hemminger:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 22:00:48 +0100
> Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
>
> > 13/12/2017 18:09, Stephen Hemminger:
> > > Many DPDK drivers require that setup and initialization be done by
> > > the primary process. This is mostly to avoid dealing with concurrency since
> > > there can be multiple secondary processes.
> >
> > I think we should consider this limitation as a bug.
> > We must allow a secondary process to initialize a device.
> > The race in device creation must be fixed.
> >

> Secondary processes should be able to do setup.
> But it is up to the application not to do it concurrently from multiple
> processes.

Yes there can be synchronization between processes.
But I think it is safer to fix the device creation race in ethdev.
Note that I am not talking about configuration concurrency,
but just race in probing.