* [dpdk-dev] Can anyone help me to run the l2fwd-ivshmem example?
@ 2014-06-18  7:56 GongJinrong
From: GongJinrong @ 2014-06-18  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

   I want find a zero copy framework from host to vm without any physical
NIC device, it seems l2fwd-ivshmem can be used, but I have problems to run
this example:
   1. there is no document about this example, even a simple readme :-(
   2. does this example need ovdk?
   3. can I use standard qemu to run this example? Does the standard qemu
support ivshmem?

Best Regards
John Gong

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Can anyone help me to run the l2fwd-ivshmem example?
@ 2014-06-18  8:19 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2014-06-18  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GongJinrong; +Cc: dev

Hi,

2014-06-18 15:56, GongJinrong:
>    I want find a zero copy framework from host to vm without any physical
> NIC device,

I think memnic is what you want:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/memnic-pmd

> it seems l2fwd-ivshmem can be used, but I have problems to run
> this example:
>    1. there is no document about this example, even a simple readme :-(
>    2. does this example need ovdk?

No

>    3. can I use standard qemu to run this example? Does the standard qemu
> support ivshmem?

You should be able to use standard Qemu.

--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Can anyone help me to run the l2fwd-ivshmem example?
@ 2014-06-18  8:42   ` GongJinrong
From: GongJinrong @ 2014-06-18  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Thomas Monjalon'; +Cc: dev

Ok, thanks Thomas, I will try memnic.

@ 2014-06-18  8:52     ` Gray, Mark D
From: Gray, Mark D @ 2014-06-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GongJinrong, 'Thomas Monjalon'; +Cc: dev

> Hi,
>
> 2014-06-18 15:56, GongJinrong:
> >    I want find a zero copy framework from host to vm without any
> > physical NIC device,
>
> I think memnic is what you want:
> 	http://dpdk.org/doc/memnic-pmd
>
> > it seems l2fwd-ivshmem can be used, but I have problems to run this
> > example:
> >    1. there is no document about this example, even a simple readme :-(
> >    2. does this example need ovdk?
>
> No
>
> >    3. can I use standard qemu to run this example? Does the standard
> > qemu support ivshmem?
>
> You should be able to use standard Qemu.

Standard QEMU will work for Memnic but not when using DPDK ivshmem. It uses
the standard QEMU ivshem and doesn't use DPDK in the way you would like it to

You should look at  the DPDK vSwitch code to see how DPDK ivshmem is used.
Basically, in the host you need to identify what objects that you want to share with the
virtual machine

e.g. rings, memzones

>From this, you can generate a command line to pass to QEMU (with a modified ivshmem.c file
- we haven't tried to upstream this yet)

Then when you start a DPDK application in the guest, each of the objects that
you shared from the host are also available in the guest.

I presume the l2fwd-ivshmem does the same

> --
> Thomas
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Can anyone help me to run the l2fwd-ivshmem example?
@ 2014-06-18  9:18       ` GongJinrong
From: GongJinrong @ 2014-06-18  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gray, Mark D', 'Thomas Monjalon'; +Cc: dev

Thanks, Mark, the comment is really help.

> >    I want find a zero copy framework from host to vm without any
> > physical NIC device,
>
> I think memnic is what you want:
> 	http://dpdk.org/doc/memnic-pmd
>
> > it seems l2fwd-ivshmem can be used, but I have problems to run this
> > example:
> >    1. there is no document about this example, even a simple readme :-(
> >    2. does this example need ovdk?
>
> No
>
> >    3. can I use standard qemu to run this example? Does the standard
> > qemu support ivshmem?
>
> You should be able to use standard Qemu.

Standard QEMU will work for Memnic but not when using DPDK ivshmem. It uses
the standard QEMU ivshem and doesn't use DPDK in the way you would like it

You should look at  the DPDK vSwitch code to see how DPDK ivshmem is used.
Basically, in the host you need to identify what objects that you want to
share with the virtual machine

e.g. rings, memzones

>From this, you can generate a command line to pass to QEMU (with a modified
ivshmem.c file
- we haven't tried to upstream this yet)

Then when you start a DPDK application in the guest, each of the objects
that you shared from the host are also available in the guest.

I presume the l2fwd-ivshmem does the same

> --
> Thomas
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263 Business address: Dromore House, East Park,
Shannon, Co. Clare

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and delete all copies.