* [dpdk-dev] How to free a ring?
@ 2013-09-11  7:37 Dmitry Vyal
From: Dmitry Vyal @ 2013-09-11  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello all.

Is there a way to deallocate an rte_ring? Maybe I'm missing something,
but I can't find an API function for that at
http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__ring_8h.html

Regards,
Dmitry

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to free a ring?
@ 2013-09-11  7:46 ` AndyChen
From: AndyChen @ 2013-09-11  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Vyal; +Cc: dev

Dpdk hasn't API to free ring/memzone/mempool, what's the scene you must
free the ring?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Dmitry Vyal <dmitryvyal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Is there a way to deallocate an rte_ring? Maybe I'm missing something, but
> I can't find an API function for that at
> http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__**ring_8h.html<http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__ring_8h.html>
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to free a ring?
@ 2013-09-11  7:57 ` mydpdk
From: mydpdk @ 2013-09-11  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Vyal; +Cc: dev

It seems that there are no APIs  to free a ring.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] How to free a ring?
@ 2013-09-11  9:07   ` Dmitry Vyal
From: Dmitry Vyal @ 2013-09-11  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AndyChen; +Cc: dev

On 09/11/2013 11:46 AM, AndyChen wrote:
> Dpdk hasn't API to free ring/memzone/mempool, what's the scene you
> must free the ring?

Well, I'm writing a packet defragmenting code. I have a data structure
consisting of a rte_hash, a rte_ring and an array allocated with
rte_zmalloc. All these besides the ring can be freed. So looks like I
can't destruct my object after allocating. Strictly speaking, I don't
have to. The need shouldn't arise in normal situation. I just considered
writing allocating/deallocating function pairs and processing all
allocation errors to be a good practice.

Isn't it a bit strange to have rte_hash_free() and not have
rte_ring_free()? What's the reason for this?

Best wishes,
Dmitry