* [dpdk-dev] License switch to LGPL in 1.3
@ 2013-08-25 10:48 Николай Владышевский
From: Николай Владышевский @ 2013-08-25 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

one of the changes in version 1.3 is the switch from BSD license to LGPL
and GPL , and being the developer able to chose one or another. May I ask
why this decision was taken? As I understand correctly, with this change,
we no longer can static link the binaries of our applications and embed in
our products unless we buy a license. Have the prices been already set for
it?

Nikolai

* Re: [dpdk-dev] License switch to LGPL in 1.3
@ 2013-08-26  4:52 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2013-08-26  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Николай
	Владышевский
  Cc: dev

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 05:48:15 -0500
Николай Владышевский <nikovv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> one of the changes in version 1.3 is the switch from BSD license to LGPL
> and GPL , and being the developer able to chose one or another. May I ask
> why this decision was taken? As I understand correctly, with this change,
> we no longer can static link the binaries of our applications and embed in
> our products unless we buy a license. Have the prices been already set for
> it?
>
> Nikolai

When I asked the same issue, the answer from Intel was that the all the non-kernel
parts are still under the same BSD style license. The only GPL par is the kernel
drivers (igb_uio and kni). It probably should be split into separate packages
for clarity.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] License switch to LGPL in 1.3
@ 2013-08-26 10:32 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-08-26 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Николай
	Владышевский
  Cc: dev

25/08/2013 05:48, Николай Владышевский :
> one of the changes in version 1.3 is the switch from BSD license to LGPL
> and GPL

No, there is no switch.

The kernel module igb_uio was under GPLv2 and it's still the case.
The kernel module kni appeared under GPLv2.
The userspace libraries are BSD licensed.
rte_pci_dev_ids.h is provided under a dual BSD/GPLv2 license.
rte_kni_common.h is provided under a dual BSD/LGPLv2 license.

Hope it's clear.
--
Thomas