* [dpdk-dev] reg: dpdk on virtual machine
@ 2014-11-24 11:21 Anand Angadi
From: Anand Angadi @ 2014-11-24 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi friends,
I wanted to know how to install dpdk on virtual machine and how to get
virtual intel dpdk NIC card(virthal hardware)
in virtual  machine if anybody know about it please reply me.

Regards...
Anand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] reg: dpdk on virtual machine
@ 2014-11-25  1:45 ` Qiu, Michael
       [not found]   ` <5473F32E.7060506@globaledgesoft.com>
From: Qiu, Michael @ 2014-11-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Angadi, dev

On 11/24/2014 7:24 PM, Anand Angadi wrote:
> Hi friends,
> I wanted to know how to install dpdk on virtual machine and how to get
> virtual intel dpdk NIC card(virthal hardware)
> in virtual  machine if anybody know about it please reply me.

I think there is no difference if your VM is KVM based(Others like Xen
or vmware I do not know).

For virtual NIC, you can add one intel NIC in your VM hardware
config(pass through or emulation mode)

Thanks,
Michael

@ 2014-11-25  8:27   ` Denys Haryachyy
       [not found]   ` <5473F32E.7060506@globaledgesoft.com>
From: Denys Haryachyy @ 2014-11-25  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qiu, Michael; +Cc: dev, Anand Angadi

We have tested DPDK inside VM in two different ways:
- Using virtual interface. Thus we were able to develop DPDK apps on any
machine.
- Using PCI pass-through. Thus we were able to achieve maximum speed on
DPDK-enabled NIC.

Please check the following blog posts.
DPDK bring-up in VM using virtual interface
<http://plvision.eu/blog/deploying-intel-dpdk-in-oracle-virtualbox/>
Setup PCI passthrough for DPDK NIC
<https://haryachyy.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/learning-dpdk-l2-forwarding-app-in-vm/>

Regards,
Denys.

@ 2014-11-25 11:28     ` Qiu, Michael
From: Qiu, Michael @ 2014-11-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Angadi; +Cc: dev

On 11/25/2014 11:13 AM, Anand Angadi wrote:
> On 11/25/2014 7:15 AM, Qiu, Michael wrote:
>> On 11/24/2014 7:24 PM, Anand Angadi wrote:
>>> Hi friends,
>>> I wanted to know how to install dpdk on virtual machine and how to get
>>> virtual intel dpdk NIC card(virthal hardware)
>>> in virtual  machine if anybody know about it please reply me.
>> I think there is no difference if your VM is KVM based(Others like Xen
>> or vmware I do not know).
>>
>> For virtual NIC, you can add one intel NIC in your VM hardware
>> config(pass through or emulation mode)
> Hi Michael,
> Thank you for replying, I am new for creating virtual machine can you
> tell me how to add this
> intel NIC  in my VM  hardware config, means is there any procedure or
> steps to do it, if it's there

You can use virt-manager for a simple start :)

Or you can also use command line like virsh command or qemu command, but
it is much complex for new user :)

Thanks,
Michael