* [dpdk-dev] Bond feature can't running well on 40G i40e NICs
@ 2015-02-05  2:03 lhffjzh
From: lhffjzh @ 2015-02-05  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, dts; +Cc: maintainers

Hi DPDK maintainers,

We encounter confusion recently which is 40G i40e NICs bond issue, our
bonding logic as below, the ixgbe bonding is running well both 1.7.1 and
1.8.0, but i40e are all failed.

Create bond port -> config slave ports(tx/rx) -> start slave ports -> add
slave port into bond port -> start bond port -> tx/rx on bond port

On 1.7.1, the 40G bonding port always can't be started, them status are down
and speed are 0.

On 1.8.0, the 40G bonding port start and send network package correctly, but
can't receive any package with BONDING_MODE_BALANCE
<http://www.dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__eth__bond_8h.html#a6a70bf21c5b4ad3a1368615
349cb9771>  mode and all policies like BALANCE_XMIT_POLICY_LAYER2. In
BONDING_MODE_ROUND_ROBIN
<http://www.dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__eth__bond_8h.html#aad34f918b8877dc6a27322d
03dc4184f>  mode, bonding port can send/receive a few network packages(less
than 100) per seconds.

Could you please help us for this? any clue is welcome.

Thanks and Regards,

Haifeng

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dts] Bond feature can't running well on 40G i40e NICs
@ 2015-02-06 10:17 ` Declan Doherty
From: Declan Doherty @ 2015-02-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 05/02/15 02:03, lhffjzh wrote:
> Hi DPDK maintainers,
>

> We encounter confusion recently which is 40G i40e NICs bond issue, our
> bonding logic as below, the ixgbe bonding is running well both 1.7.1 and
> 1.8.0, but i40e are all failed.
>

> Create bond port -> config slave ports(tx/rx) -> start slave ports -> add
> slave port into bond port -> start bond port -> tx/rx on bond port
>

> On 1.7.1, the 40G bonding port always can't be started, them status are down
> and speed are 0.
>
> On 1.8.0, the 40G bonding port start and send network package correctly, but
> can't receive any package with BONDING_MODE_BALANCE
> <http://www.dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__eth__bond_8h.html#a6a70bf21c5b4ad3a1368615
> 349cb9771>  mode and all policies like BALANCE_XMIT_POLICY_LAYER2. In
> BONDING_MODE_ROUND_ROBIN
> <http://www.dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__eth__bond_8h.html#aad34f918b8877dc6a27322d
> 03dc4184f>  mode, bonding port can send/receive a few network packages(less
> than 100) per seconds.
>

> Could you please help us for this? any clue is welcome.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Haifeng

Hi Haifeng,

We only added support from i40e devices in the 1.8.0 release. In release
1.7.0/1.7.1 there was no support for LSC interrupts in the i40e PMD
which was required for that release of the bonding PMD, this is why the
device cannot be started and will always stay have a link down status,
as the bonded PMD isn't able to detect the LSC in the slave. From 1.8.0
support was added for polling of PMD's LSC where interrupts aren't
supported, but LSC interrupt support for the i40e PMD was also added in
this release.

I need to investigate this further and see if I can replicate your
issues. I'll reply as soon as I have further information.

Declan