* [dpdk-dev] Removing more mbuf fields
@ 2020-11-04 23:42 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-11-04 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Thanks for the work cleaning out some of the cruft in the mbuf to make space
for dynamic fields.

Are you going to breakup the hash union in mbuf?
There is some bits to be gained there for dynamic fields.

  - Flow director should be deprecated/gone/killed so hash.fdir can disappear.

  - QoS scheduling hash.sched should be a dynamic field.

  - Eventdev hash.tx_adapter.txq should be a dynamic field as  well.

  - hash.usr field is obviously an dynamic field candidate.

That leaves only hash.rss which is smaller (32 instead of 64 bits in union)
and should stay.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Removing more mbuf fields
@ 2020-11-05  7:20 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-11-05  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

05/11/2020 00:42, Stephen Hemminger:
> Thanks for the work cleaning out some of the cruft in the mbuf to make space
> for dynamic fields.
>
> Are you going to breakup the hash union in mbuf?
> There is some bits to be gained there for dynamic fields.
>
>   - Flow director should be deprecated/gone/killed so hash.fdir can disappear.
>
>   - QoS scheduling hash.sched should be a dynamic field.
>
>   - Eventdev hash.tx_adapter.txq should be a dynamic field as  well.
>
>   - hash.usr field is obviously an dynamic field candidate.
>
> That leaves only hash.rss which is smaller (32 instead of 64 bits in union)
> and should stay.

Yes such dynamic fields can be used during next year,
so we are prepared to remove more fields in 21.11 next year.
I hope such cleanup can be contributing by multiple volunteers.