* [dpdk-dev] jumbo frame support for 82583V
@ 2015-07-17 11:56 Klaus Degner
From: Klaus Degner @ 2015-07-17 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wenzhuo Lu; +Cc: dev

Hi Wenzhuo,

We are testing different Intel NICs for DPDK. We have tested the master
branch with the support for 82583V Intel chip.
It works very well except that we can only use up to 1518 bytes for
maximum packet capture.
We have debugged this and it is restricted in the initialization:

http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/e1000/em_ethdev.c#n855

Without DPDK, the linux driver support and mtu up to 9k and ark.intel
reports that this chip is jumbo frame capable:

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/41676/Intel-82583V-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

Is there any specific reason why DPDK cannot use jumbo frames for this NIC ?

Thanks for help !

Klaus

* Re: [dpdk-dev] jumbo frame support for 82583V
@ 2015-07-20  3:14 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2015-07-20  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Degner; +Cc: dev

Hi Klaus,

Sorry, I'm not sure about the history.
According to the datasheet's update log, 82583v doesn't support jumbo frame at first.
I think the reason is the e1000 code is not updated after the datasheet said the jumbo frame is supported.
As I don’t have the NIC on hand, would you like to change the code and have a try. I mean just let
" case e1000_82583" return 9K. Thanks.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] jumbo frame support for 82583V
@ 2015-07-20  9:21   ` Klaus Degner
From: Klaus Degner @ 2015-07-20  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

Hi Wenzhuo,
> Hi Klaus,

The DPDK jumbo frame send and receive works for 82583V.
We have tested it with 4x 85283V and the setup:

Linux send --> DPDK receive --> DPDK send --> Linux receive

We could send a 9k packet via this data path and have verified the
content of it.
I can generate a patch for DPDK if this is enough testing for you.

Thanks,

@ 2015-07-21  0:40     ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2015-07-21  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Degner; +Cc: dev

Hi Klaus,

Many thanks for verifying this. I think that's enough.
If you'd like creating a patch for it, please move on:)