* [dpdk-dev] Running multiple threads on a single core
@ 2015-09-21 14:35 Martin Drašar
From: Martin Drašar @ 2015-09-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I have a hard time understanding the configuration of multiple pthreads
in eal initialization.

Let's say I have a 4 lcore machine (2 phys. cores with HT) and I want to
run 7 threads on it.

I thought that these options would help me:

-c 0xf -l 0-6 --lcores='0,(1,3)@2,(2,4)@3,(5,6)@1'

But all I am getting is "EAL: invalid parameter for --lcores".

So my question is - how can I tell EAL to start 7 threads, pin them to
given CPUs and made them accessible as lcores for issuing
rte_eal_remote_launch?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Running multiple threads on a single core
@ 2015-09-22  8:37 ` Martin Drašar
From: Martin Drašar @ 2015-09-22  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Dne 21.9.2015 v 16:35 Martin Drašar napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have a hard time understanding the configuration of multiple pthreads
> in eal initialization.
>
> Let's say I have a 4 lcore machine (2 phys. cores with HT) and I want to
> run 7 threads on it.
>
> I thought that these options would help me:
>
> -c 0xf -l 0-6 --lcores='0,(1,3)@2,(2,4)@3,(5,6)@1'
>
> But all I am getting is "EAL: invalid parameter for --lcores".
>
> So my question is - how can I tell EAL to start 7 threads, pin them to
> given CPUs and made them accessible as lcores for issuing
> rte_eal_remote_launch?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin

Ok, figured it out... I am feeding the options by manually constructing
the argv and the option must not be passed with quotes.

So:

argv[x] = "--lcores=0,(1,3)@2,(2,4)@3,(5,6)@1"

Martin