* [dpdk-dev] DPDK install behavior Question
@ 2015-10-02 16:32 Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C
From: Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C @ 2015-10-02 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, Panu Matilainen, dev, Richardson, Bruce

Hi,

Working with the patchset to include new features to make install,
some questions I missed to ask before:

for example if you use only "make install":

"T" variable is going to get "*" value and the
makefiles are going to build all TARGETS,

Is it an expected behavior?,

and if you use "make install T=TARGET"
(e.g. make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc)
the makefiles are going to config, build and install dpdk,
however the target just say "install", and is doing config
and build again.

is it and expected behavior too?.

Thank you so much.
Mario.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK install behavior Question
@ 2015-10-05 15:33 ` Panu Matilainen
From: Panu Matilainen @ 2015-10-05 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C, dev, Richardson, Bruce

On 10/02/2015 07:32 PM, Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Working with the patchset to include new features to make install,
> some questions I missed to ask before:
>
> for example if you use only "make install":
>
> "T" variable is going to get "*" value and the
> makefiles are going to build all TARGETS,
>
> Is it an expected behavior?,
>
> and if you use "make install T=TARGET"
> (e.g. make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc)
> the makefiles are going to config, build and install dpdk,
> however the target just say "install", and is doing config
> and build again.
>
> is it and expected behavior too?.

Lets just say its behaving as documented:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/dev_kit_root_make_help.html#install-targets

Whether one would call it expected behavior is a whole other question,
to me what it does is about the last thing I would've expected "make
install" to do :)

	- Panu -