* [dpdk-dev] DPDP crash with sr-iov (with ESXi 5.5 hypervisor)
@ 2015-12-23  4:32 Vithal Mohare
From: Vithal Mohare @ 2015-12-23  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

While initializing pci port (VF) DPDK is crashing while configuring the device.  Reason/location:
                PMD: rte_eth_dev_configure: ethdev port_id=1 nb_rx_queues=8 > 2
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1

System info:
DPDK version: 2.0
NIC: 82599EB, sr-iov enabled.
SR-IOV config at ESXi 5.5 hypervisor host: max_vfs=2
Guest OS: Linux OS based.  Driver: ixgbevf.ko

VM is configured with 3 vCPUs.  Before linking the port to DPDK, I see that, pci device (VF) comes up with 8 rx/tx queues (using native kernel driver ixgbevf.ko, /sys/class/net/ethx/queues/*).  But DPDK code expect max queues for device to be '2' and hence the crash.   Am I missing anything here?  Appreciate for any suggestions/fixes for the issue.

Thanks,
-Vithal

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDP crash with sr-iov (with ESXi 5.5 hypervisor)
@ 2015-12-23  7:28 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2015-12-23  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vithal Mohare, dev

Hi Vithal,
The number of VF queues is decided by PF. Suppose you use kernel driver for PF. So the queue number is decided by PF kernel driver.
I have a 82599ES, and find no matter ixgbevf or dpdk igb_uio is used, the rx queue number is 2. Frankly, I believe 2 is the expected number. Surprised that you get 8 when using ixgbevf.
Hope this can help. Thanks.