* [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-18 23:06 Nishant Verma
From: Nishant Verma @ 2016-05-18 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

​Hi All,

It's very basic question, but somehow i am blocked due to this issue.
Please help me out.

I have configured NTUPLE filter in my application with just Destination IP
every ​thing else(SRC IP, S_PORT, D_PORT & proto) is disabled.
But whenever i send packet from any machine, it means Different Source IP,
hash value at DPDK app side changed and hence result in, Arrival of packet
at different queue.

Any hint would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Rgds,
​NV

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-19  1:11 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-05-19  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishant Verma, dev

Hi Nishant,

Suppose you're using 5-tuple, right? Suppose you're using a igb or ixgbe NIC as 5-tuple is only supported by igb/ixgbe, right?
Would you like to let us know what you've done? I mean how you disable the other things.
I think you might set the mask to do that. And please aware if the mask is FF, means the field is used. On the contrary, the mask should be 0.

> But whenever i send packet from any machine, it means Different Source IP,
> hash value at DPDK app side changed and hence result in, Arrival of packet at
> different queue.
>
> Any hint would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Rgds,
> ​NV

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-19  2:29   ` Nishant Verma
From: Nishant Verma @ 2016-05-19  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

Hi Wenzhuo,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i am using ixgbe.

On software front, this is what i am doing.....

I am using DPDK 16.04 and pktgen 3.0.00

On my DPDK machine, i have configured RSS rule just for Destination IP
(172.10.10.2).

[image: rss]
<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160737/2aa17d4e-16c9-11e6-9161-4178056176ca.png>

>From Pktgen when i changed *destination IP* as *172.10.10.2*, *proto *as
*ICMP*, and after that i tried command *ping4 0*
Packet reaches to correct queue in DPDK application.

But if i changed the source IP at packet gen (any IP other then
192.168.0.1), I am not getting packet at desired core on DPDK machine.

Here is my pktgen IP looks like.

[image: pktgen]
<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160993/4f8920b6-16ca-11e6-9811-dbe8ac3f34f7.png>

If i revert my my source IP change, it again reached to correct core.

My port configuration is
"
[image: rss_conf]
<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160996/557bdb80-16ca-11e6-9df4-52a7e504d4f7.png>

"

--
Rgds,
Nishant

============
Nishant Verma
Email: vnish11@gmail.com
Phone: +1-703-364-8545

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-19  3:09     ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-05-19  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, i am using ixgbe.

On software front, this is what i am doing.....

I am using DPDK 16.04 and pktgen 3.0.00

On my DPDK machine, i have configured RSS rule just for Destination IP (172.10.10.2).

[rss]<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160737/2aa17d4e-16c9-11e6-9161-4178056176ca.png>

From Pktgen when i changed destination IP as 172.10.10.2, proto *as *ICMP, and after that i tried command ping4 0
Wenzhuo: Interesting, you’re using ICMP. Would you like to try UDP/TCP?

Packet reaches to correct queue in DPDK application.

But if i changed the source IP at packet gen (any IP other then 192.168.0.1), I am not getting packet at desired core on DPDK machine.

Here is my pktgen IP looks like.

[pktgen]<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160993/4f8920b6-16ca-11e6-9811-dbe8ac3f34f7.png>

If i revert my my source IP change, it again reached to correct core.

My port configuration is
"
[rss_conf]<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160996/557bdb80-16ca-11e6-9df4-52a7e504d4f7.png>

"

Hi Nishant,

--
Rgds,
Nishant

============
Nishant Verma
Email: vnish11@gmail.com<mailto:vnish11@gmail.com>
Phone: +1-703-364-8545

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-19  3:21       ` Nishant Verma
From: Nishant Verma @ 2016-05-19  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev

Hi Wenzhuo,

Tried UDP as well as TCP.
Also use dump function to check if packet it correct or not. I found packet
perfectly fine.

but anyhow problem still remain the same.

--
Rgds,
Nishant

============
Nishant Verma
Email: vnish11@gmail.com
Phone: +1-703-364-8545

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query on RSS Rule
@ 2016-05-19  3:35         ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-05-19  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
Also use dump function to check if packet it correct or not. I found packet perfectly fine.
but anyhow problem still remain the same.
Wenzhuo: Glad to know the problem is not related to the protocol. I don’t find anything wrong in your code, except I’m not sure if the mask for dst_ip is right. Suppose it’s right ☺ Seems having to check if the register is right. I mean the registers in the function ixgbe_add_5tuple_filter. Not sure if it’s easy to check them in your APP. If not, maybe you can try testpmd first.

Hi Nishant,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i am using ixgbe.

On software front, this is what i am doing.....

I am using DPDK 16.04 and pktgen 3.0.00

On my DPDK machine, i have configured RSS rule just for Destination IP (172.10.10.2).

[rss]<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/7613402/15160737/2aa17d4e-16c9-11e6-9161-4178056176ca.png>

From Pktgen when i changed destination IP as 172.10.10.2, proto *as *ICMP, and after that i tried command ping4 0

--
Rgds,
Nishant

Nishant Verma
Email: vnish11@gmail.com<mailto:vnish11@gmail.com>
Phone: +1-703-364-8545<tel:%2B1-703-364-8545>

--
Rgds,
Nishant